How to debug a com dll
Author Message
 How to debug a com dll

I have  a ATL COM dll which is used by a VB dll.
Now this Vb dll is used by a ASP page.
How can I debug my ATL COM dll if it is giving problem in ASP page.

Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:48:09 GMT
 How to debug a com dll
Hi Bittoo,

It depends on the way your web server is set up with regards to ASP (what
they call Application Protection). First start up Visual Studio.

1) If it's set to run in-process (Application Protection: Low):
    a) Build -> Start Debug -> Attach To Process
    b) Check Show system processes
    c) Pick inetinfo.exe
    d) Project -> Settings -> Debug -> Additional DLLs
    e) Add your DLL to the list
    f) Open the relevant source code files, and set breakpoints
    g) Make a request to the web server

2) If it's set to run out of process (Application Protection: Medium/High):
    a,b) the same
    c) Pick DLLHOST.exe (there are generally several DLLHosts running, so
you have to figure out which one is your web application. Hit a "demanding"
page and see which DLLHost.exe uses CPU time in Task Manager)
    d-g) the same.

I do this all the time, and it works fine, provided that you run the web
server on your debugging machine and are testing against a debug build of
the component.

Hope that helps,

--
Kim Gr?sman
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

Quote:
> I have  a ATL COM dll which is used by a VB dll.
> Now this Vb dll is used by a ASP page.
> How can I debug my ATL COM dll if it is giving problem in ASP page.

Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:46:25 GMT

1. How do I debug a COM DLL?

2. Help me debug my COM DLL ...

3. Registering Both Debug and Release version of ATL COM Dlls

4. Debug a COM based dll

5. COM Debug/Release CRT DLL Problem

6. How to debug .rc file in a ATL COM dll

7. Can't Debug COM dll from ASP

8. NTDLL.DLL access violation in COM server only when *not* debugging

9. HELP: Debugging a COM automation DLL object in VB

10. A Nasty Debug Problem involving VB, VC (COM) and DLL

11. ATL COM dll compiles OK in debug mode, but v slow in release mod e

12. Debugging a ATL COM dll running in IIS