symbols ok in winDbg, not in vc
Author Message
 symbols ok in winDbg, not in vc

A few system modules (ntdll, kernel32) cause vc++ de{*filter*} to issue "no
matching symbolic information found".
A ".sym noisy" in latest winDbg shows the .dbg's in question being located
and loaded OK.

What gives?

Thanks,
Liviu

P.S. Win2k SP1, Vc6 SP4

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:21:07 GMT
 symbols ok in winDbg, not in vc
We actually added specific code to WinDBG to recognize issues with a few key
symbols files (ntdll, kernel32) so that we would accept the symbol file
eventhough the checksum did not match.  The problem in this case is probably
that the checksum matches failed because the binaries are post-processed to
remove lock prefixes.

In general though, windbg will let you load symbol files even if they don't
match correctly, while VC won't.

-Andre

Quote:

> A few system modules (ntdll, kernel32) cause vc++ de{*filter*} to issue "no
> matching symbolic information found".
> A ".sym noisy" in latest winDbg shows the .dbg's in question being located
> and loaded OK.

> What gives?

> Thanks,
> Liviu

> P.S. Win2k SP1, Vc6 SP4

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:43:28 GMT
 symbols ok in winDbg, not in vc
First, thank you for the information.

Next, would you know of any workaround (to get VC accept said symbols) -
short of spoofing the checksum in the .dbg's?

Thanks,
Liviu

Quote:
> We actually added specific code to WinDBG to recognize issues with a few
key
> symbols files (ntdll, kernel32) so that we would accept the symbol file
> eventhough the checksum did not match.  The problem in this case is
probably
> that the checksum matches failed because the binaries are post-processed
> remove lock prefixes.

> In general though, windbg will let you load symbol files even if they
don't
> match correctly, while VC won't.

> -Andre

> > A few system modules (ntdll, kernel32) cause vc++ de{*filter*} to issue "no
> > matching symbolic information found".
> > A ".sym noisy" in latest winDbg shows the .dbg's in question being
located
> > and loaded OK.

> > What gives?

> > Thanks,
> > Liviu

> > P.S. Win2k SP1, Vc6 SP4

Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:52:50 GMT

1. Windbg :: symbols matchup for VC 5.0

2. Q: COM DLL: registration ok from VC++6, not using regsvr32

3. Runs ok in vc debug, not from Wn Explorer

4. WinDbg and Symbols?

5. WinDbg and Symbols?

6. To Nudds: OK, OK, C is not portable

7. VC++5 does not recognise W2k symbols

8. Debugger Quick Ref - gdb,dbx,vc,windbg,ntsd,edebug,perld

9. quickref - debugger chart for gdb,dbx,vc,windbg,ntsd,edebug,perld

10. VC doesnt find *.dbg\*.pdb WinDbg does..!!

11. windbg vs VC debugger

12. Remotingservice is not responding on Servers, on Professional versions ok