Linking debugger output to Excel
Author Message
 Linking debugger output to Excel

Hi everyone,

I currently have the notion that it would be very useful, while
debugging,  if I could, at the click of a button, copy the values from
an entire array into a column in Excel?  Can anyone please help me with
this?

I figure that this is possible if I create a Developer Studio Add-In in
Visual Basic and make use of the De{*filter*}.Evaluate method to access the
values of an array, then shoom them over to Excel.  I guess what I am
really wanting to know is

1)  Has anyone done this before (I don't want to recreate the wheel
here) and could someone point me in the right direction

2)  If not, am I on the right track or should I be thinking of a
different approach.  I am actually wanting to use this tool while
debugging large fortran arrays.  Initial forays down this path show that
use of the De{*filter*}.Evaluate method to be extremely slow.  I created a
small loop to perform the De{*filter*}.Evaluate method 6,000 times on a
single variable in the watch window and it takes about 50 sec to execute
on my PII 266.  At this rate, arrays on the order of 100,000 elements
(of which I am looking at) will take about 15 minutes.  Ugh!!!

Thank you greatly for any input or advice,
Chris Murray

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linking debugger output to Excel
You could use ReadProcessMemory() to grab the array. That
would be much faster. I don't know any of the details of how
you would implement that.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Outputting data to Excel

2. Output to Excel file from VC++

3. WANTED: C Function that Outputs to Excel, 1-2-3

4. formatting output sent to Excel

5. Excel stays in memory when using mulitple sheet output

6. Controlling TRACE statement output in debugger

7. debugger output window overflow

8. debugger output window

9. linking an Excel sheet in Windows Forms

10. How to make a link from C to an Excel file

11. VC++ to Excel link

12. Linking to Excel