How do I *detach* from an attached process? 
Author Message
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?

Hi,

I've experienced my first quirk debugging an ISAPI extension by attaching to
DLLHost.exe. I clicked "Stop Debugging" and... poof! no more DLLHost in
memory and no more virtual directory, which hosted my test web page (Killing
DLLHost had the adverse effect to desynchronize IIS with the metabase).
Fortunately I had MetaEdit...

VStudio has that powerful debug feature "Attach" but I wonder I they - MS -
just forgot the "Detach" counterpart... At least it's possible in DevEnv but
I have absolutely no clue on how to do this in Visual Studio (C++
debugging). Does the external process absolutely have to end?

Note: I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for any hint/suggestion.

Vince C.



Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:49:29 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?

Quote:
>I have absolutely no clue on how to do this in Visual Studio (C++
>debugging).

When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual Studio
6.0?
Detach feature is NOT available in VStudio 6.0 de{*filter*}.
It is a new  feature in  Visual Studio .Net de{*filter*}..

Please also note that to detach a native C++ program in Win NT or Win2k,
you must be running the Visual Studio De{*filter*} Proxy (dbgproxy) service.
Windows XP has detach capability built in, eliminating the need for
dbgproxy.
http://www.*-*-*.com/
.asp

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------

Quote:

>Subject: How do I *detach* from an attached process?
>Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:49:29 +0100

>Hi,

>I've experienced my first quirk debugging an ISAPI extension by attaching
to
>DLLHost.exe. I clicked "Stop Debugging" and... poof! no more DLLHost in
>memory and no more virtual directory, which hosted my test web page
(Killing
>DLLHost had the adverse effect to desynchronize IIS with the metabase).
>Fortunately I had MetaEdit...

>VStudio has that powerful debug feature "Attach" but I wonder I they - MS -
>just forgot the "Detach" counterpart... At least it's possible in DevEnv
but
>I have absolutely no clue on how to do this in Visual Studio (C++
>debugging). Does the external process absolutely have to end?

>Note: I'm running Windows XP Pro.

>Thanks for any hint/suggestion.

>Vince C.



Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:51:22 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?
Thanks Bobby.
Quote:
> When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual
Studio
> 6.0?

Yes, I am.

Quote:
> Windows XP has detach capability built in, eliminating the need for
> dbgproxy.

So this was exactly what I wanted to know: how do I do it on Windows XP if I
don't need DbgProxy?

Vince C.



Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:43:27 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?
Vince,

Quote:
>> When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual
>Studio
>> 6.0?
>Yes, I am.

You cannot do this with VS 6.0 de{*filter*} even if are in windows XP.
You need  VS.Net de{*filter*} along   with windows XP or DbgProxy to detach
from a native process.

Sorry if I was not clear in my earlier message.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------

Quote:


>Subject: Re: How do I *detach* from an attached process?
>Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:43:27 +0100

>Thanks Bobby.
>> When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual
>Studio
>> 6.0?
>Yes, I am.

>> Windows XP has detach capability built in, eliminating the need for
>> dbgproxy.

>So this was exactly what I wanted to know: how do I do it on Windows XP if
I
>don't need DbgProxy?

>Vince C.



Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:33:35 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?
You could use windbg also, it's free to download from
here: http://www.*-*-*.com/


Quote:
> Vince,
> >> When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual
> >Studio
> >> 6.0?
> >Yes, I am.

> You cannot do this with VS 6.0 de{*filter*} even if are in windows XP.
> You need  VS.Net de{*filter*} along   with windows XP or DbgProxy to detach
> from a native process.

> Sorry if I was not clear in my earlier message.

> Hope this helps.

> Thank you,
> Bobby Mattappally
> Microsoft VC++/C# Team

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

> --------------------


> >Subject: Re: How do I *detach* from an attached process?
> >Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:43:27 +0100

> >Thanks Bobby.
> >> When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual
> >Studio
> >> 6.0?
> >Yes, I am.

> >> Windows XP has detach capability built in, eliminating the need for
> >> dbgproxy.

> >So this was exactly what I wanted to know: how do I do it on Windows XP if
> I
> >don't need DbgProxy?

> >Vince C.



Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:36:59 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?

Quote:
>You could use windbg also, it's free to download from
>here: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Yes windbg lets you do a detach  (see .detach command) in windows Xp
machine.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------


Quote:

>You could use windbg also, it's free to download from
>here: http://www.*-*-*.com/




Quote:
>> Vince,
>> >> When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual
>> >Studio
>> >> 6.0?
>> >Yes, I am.

>> You cannot do this with VS 6.0 de{*filter*} even if are in windows XP.
>> You need  VS.Net de{*filter*} along   with windows XP or DbgProxy to detach
>> from a native process.

>> Sorry if I was not clear in my earlier message.

>> Hope this helps.

>> Thank you,
>> Bobby Mattappally
>> Microsoft VC++/C# Team

>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

>> --------------------




- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>> >Subject: Re: How do I *detach* from an attached process?
>> >Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:43:27 +0100

>> >Thanks Bobby.
>> >> When you say visual Visual Studio (C++ ) are you referring to Visual
>> >Studio
>> >> 6.0?
>> >Yes, I am.

>> >> Windows XP has detach capability built in, eliminating the need for
>> >> dbgproxy.

>> >So this was exactly what I wanted to know: how do I do it on Windows XP
if
>> I
>> >don't need DbgProxy?

>> >Vince C.



Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:47:26 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?
Thanks to all of you.

I've downloaded MS Debugging tools. However I'd like to know if WinDbg will
interfere with MSDev JIT? Will it register itself as a JIT de{*filter*} or leave
MSDev as thee default de{*filter*}?

Vince C.



Quote:

> >You could use windbg also, it's free to download from
> >here: http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Yes windbg lets you do a detach  (see .detach command) in windows Xp
> machine.



Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:51:34 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?

Quote:
> I've downloaded MS Debugging tools. However I'd like to know if WinDbg will
> interfere with MSDev JIT? Will it register itself as a JIT de{*filter*} or leave
> MSDev as thee default de{*filter*}?

You can always specify which de{*filter*} you want as JIT de{*filter*}.

To set windbg as JIT de{*filter*}, run "windbg -I" (case sensitive)
To set VS.Net as JIT de{*filter*}, select "options" from the tool menu,
go to "debugging", and under the "Just-in-time" selection make
sure that "native" is checked.

Also see:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;en-us;121434



Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:11:41 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?
I have a DebugChooser Tool (beta) which come up with a dialog to let you
choose WinDBG, VC6 DBG, .NET Jit, DrWatson or to not debug anything after
waiting for a given timeout.
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Quote:
> Thanks to all of you.

> I've downloaded MS Debugging tools. However I'd like to know if WinDbg
will
> interfere with MSDev JIT? Will it register itself as a JIT de{*filter*} or
leave
> MSDev as thee default de{*filter*}?

> Vince C.



> > >You could use windbg also, it's free to download from
> > >here: http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > Yes windbg lets you do a detach  (see .detach command) in windows Xp
> > machine.



Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:44:26 GMT  
 How do I *detach* from an attached process?

It looks *very much* like John Robbin's tool from Bugslayer January 2000.

http://www.*-*-*.com/


Quote:
> I have a DebugChooser Tool (beta) which come up with a dialog to let you
> choose WinDBG, VC6 DBG, .NET Jit, DrWatson or to not debug anything after
> waiting for a given timeout.
> http://www.*-*-*.com/



> > Thanks to all of you.

> > I've downloaded MS Debugging tools. However I'd like to know if WinDbg
> will
> > interfere with MSDev JIT? Will it register itself as a JIT de{*filter*} or
> leave
> > MSDev as thee default de{*filter*}?

> > Vince C.



> > > >You could use windbg also, it's free to download from
> > > >here: http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > > Yes windbg lets you do a detach  (see .detach command) in windows Xp
> > > machine.



Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:21:48 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Attach & Detach Operation at Smart PTR

2. Attach/Detach problem

3. CAsyncSocket & Attach/Detach

4. CBitmap attaching file vs. detaching file

5. VC5 Attach to process - no processes are listed.

6. Empty process list while trying to attach to process

7. Attach to process: system processes invisible

8. Running Detached (spawned) Processes

9. Detach from process?

10. Detaching process using debugger

11. Detaching process using debugger

12. Creating detached process

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software