How to skip CString in single-step?
Author Message
 How to skip CString in single-step?

Hi all,

My programs seem to use a lot of CStrings (hell, they're useful).  And the
source code is available (it looks like a bunch of gibberish to me - why
the hell don't they program in a way that other people can understand it?)

In any case, often I'll be single-stepping through my code, and all of a
sudden there's an assign statement from one CString to another or
whatever, and the de{*filter*} nicks off into the CString code.  Now I either
have to single-step another hundred times to get past that garbage, or
else abort.

I can potentially use 'run to cursor', but it's imprecise and it doesn't
work to evaluate sub-sentence parsing.  Also, if there's a conditional
expression in the code in question, I won't know where the next
instruction will be!

So: How do I get my de{*filter*} to just skip through any CString code and
assume that that's all perfect, then single-step through the code that I
wrote (which no doubt has all the bugs)?

--------------
Richard Cavell
Melbourne University Medical Student, Debater, Chess Player, etc.

Celebrating the Micro$oft breakup.
Newsgroups - Please keep it on the group, and copy your replies to me via
email. (Server problems).

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to skip CString in single-step?
I don't know of a way to designate CString to be skipped (interested in any
the function. So you pop back up the stack.

-J

Quote:
> Hi all,

> My programs seem to use a lot of CStrings (hell, they're useful).  And the
> source code is available (it looks like a bunch of gibberish to me - why
> the hell don't they program in a way that other people can understand it?)

> In any case, often I'll be single-stepping through my code, and all of a
> sudden there's an assign statement from one CString to another or
> whatever, and the de{*filter*} nicks off into the CString code.  Now I either
> have to single-step another hundred times to get past that garbage, or
> else abort.

> I can potentially use 'run to cursor', but it's imprecise and it doesn't
> work to evaluate sub-sentence parsing.  Also, if there's a conditional
> expression in the code in question, I won't know where the next
> instruction will be!

> So: How do I get my de{*filter*} to just skip through any CString code and
> assume that that's all perfect, then single-step through the code that I
> wrote (which no doubt has all the bugs)?

> --------------
> Richard Cavell
> Melbourne University Medical Student, Debater, Chess Player, etc.

> Celebrating the Micro$oft breakup.
> Newsgroups - Please keep it on the group, and copy your replies to me via
> email. (Server problems).

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to skip CString in single-step?

Quote:
> My programs seem to use a lot of CStrings (hell, they're useful).  And the
> source code is available (it looks like a bunch of gibberish to me - why
> the hell don't they program in a way that other people can understand it?)

As someone else mentioned.  You can use F10 to step over statements.
However, there are times when you have multiple statements happening on one
line and you DO want to step into one of them.  In this case, do the
following.

DISCLAIMER: this is an undocumented feature of VS 6.0!

Find the file autoexp.dat (visual studio\common\msdev98\bin).

At the very end of the file add the following 2 lines:

[ExecutionControl]
CString::*=NoStepInto

NOTE: You will need to restart MSDEV after every change to autoexp.dat since
it is only read at MSDEV startup time.  For more information, check out this
URL http://codeguru.earthweb.com/debug/autoexp.shtml

Keith

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Skip Custom Build Step

2. suddenly slow .net debug single-stepping

3. single-stepping in a multi-threaded process

4. Single Stepping into MFC Sources?

5. SIngle step and breakpoint debugger problems

6. Single Step Debug Function in DevStudio 97?

7. Single Step Debug function in DevStudio 97

8. Visual C 5 single stepping and breakpoint problems

9. Writting Debugger, single step?

10. Single-Stepping Problem

11. Single step inside assembler code

12. single step/debug on device super slow