Book on using VC++ 6 IDE and debugger?
Author Message
 Book on using VC++ 6 IDE and debugger?

Can someone please recommend a good book on using the VC++ 6 compiler
and de{*filter*}?

Also, is there a way to log the function names as they are called?
Can one redirect the contents of the Output window to a text file?

Thanks.

Please remove X_ when replying.

Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:52:10 GMT
 Book on using VC++ 6 IDE and debugger?
The book I often use is "Debugging Windows Programs", McKay and Woodring.
This book is about debugging in general, but it also talks about using vc
de{*filter*}.
In fact, I am answering your second question from that book. In order to log
the function names use
TRACE() macro in the function:

void FunctionA(){
TRACE("\nFunctionA");

}.

This directs the output to the debug window.
"You can change this default behavior using the _CrtSetReportMode function.
You can use _CrtSetReportMode function to have trace messages output to the
degugger output window, TO A FILE, to message boxes, or any combination of
these. _CrtSetReportFile function indicates which file to output the report
to."
I hope that helps.

Quote:
> Can someone please recommend a good book on using the VC++ 6 compiler
> and de{*filter*}?

> Also, is there a way to log the function names as they are called?
> Can one redirect the contents of the Output window to a text file?

> Thanks.

> Please remove X_ when replying.

Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:35:17 GMT
 Book on using VC++ 6 IDE and debugger?
Also "Debugging Applications"
by John Robbins (MSJ Bugslayer column)
published by Microsoft Press.

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:08:03 GMT
 Book on using VC++ 6 IDE and debugger?
Hi,

I think the most good book is the MSDN.

MSDN->Visual Studio 6.0 Documentation->Visual C++ Documentation->Using
Visual C++->Visual C++ Programmer's Guide->Debugging

MSDN->Visual Studio 6.0 Documentation->Visual C++ Documentation->Using
Visual C++->Visual C++ User's Guide->De{*filter*}

I hope this helps.

Jacob Yang

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:21:10 GMT

1. Book on using VC++ 6 IDE and debugger?

2. VC++ 7.0 Debugger/IDE Bug? std::string display

3. Problem with Debugger/IDE in VC++6 Pro, NEED HELP PLEASE

4. VC++ 7.0 Debugger/IDE Bug? std::string display

5. Access violations in IDE debugger, works fine outside of IDE

6. using vc++ ide with cygwin

7. tutorial about using the vc++ debugger

8. good book for C newbie on VC debugger?

9. Using VC without the IDE

10. using the VC IDE for compiling flags

11. using VC++ IDE with a different compiler

12. Using Petzold's STRLIB sample in the VC++ IDE