Q:watching constants in debugger and more
Author Message
 Q:watching constants in debugger and more

Hello!
Maybe there is someone out here who can help me with some problems during
debugging.

1.
I am using Visual C++ v5.0 and have problems with constants within debugging:
always I want to watch a value defined as constant I get the error message
CXX0017: symbol not found.
As a consequence I cannot watch any expression containing a constant, which to
my opinion makes debugging of my programs  quite cumbersome.
Is this a general problem of the de{*filter*} or is it just because of some switches
in my settings?

2.
I worked a little with the GNU de{*filter*} on a unix platform before. There it is
possible to watch arrays of values, just using a pointer and specifying the

Is there any tool in the VC++ de{*filter*} which enables one to watch nonstatic
arrays?

3.
I miss the possibility to call functions from the de{*filter*}.
Is there any way to do something like that?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Michael

----------------------------------

Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:watching constants in debugger and more
: 1.
: I am using Visual C++ v5.0 and have problems with constants within debugging:
: Is this a general problem of the de{*filter*} or is it just because of some switc
: in my settings?

It's a general problem.  The compiler propagates the constant value and
doesn't enter it in the symbol table.  Therefore, there is no way to view
it in the de{*filter*}.

: 2.
: I worked a little with the GNU de{*filter*} on a unix platform before. There it i
: possible to watch arrays of values, just using a pointer and specifying the

: Is there any tool in the VC++ de{*filter*} which enables one to watch nonstatic
: arrays?

Starting with VC6 you can say
        varname,6
in the watch window and it will display the first 6 elements as an array.
This will work with any pointer variable, static or otherwise.

: 3.
: I miss the possibility to call functions from the de{*filter*}.
: Is there any way to do something like that?

Just type in the name of the function and the arguments in the watch window.
It even works for member functions of C++ classes.

HTH

/*  Andrew  */
WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. The watch window .NET debugger

2. Debugger: watch array.

3. Is there a widget like watch window in MSVC++ Debugger or properties in Java MS IDE

4. Is there a widget like watch window in MSVC++ Debugger or properties in Java MS IDE

5. VC++5.0 constant debugger crashes

6. Watch CString in Watch Window problem

7. Symbolic Constants vs. Enumeration Constants

8. defining constants/tables of constants in c

9. using constants and memory constants

10. Are Floating Point Constants "constant"

11. Conversion of Pascal Real constants to C float constants

12. Non-constant initializer for constant type var