scribble again
Author Message
 scribble again

Could someone explain to me in layperson terms what these errors mean
and how I can correct them. I am trying to learn the Scribble tutorial .
This sample ( step 6 ) came with the MSDN subscription library and when
I compile it I don't have any errors but when I try to built it this is
what I get:
Linking...
scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public:

scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static
struct CRuntimeClass const CScribbleDoc::classCScribbleDoc"

scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static
struct CRuntimeClass const CChildFrame::classCChildFrame"

scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static
struct CRuntimeClass const CScribbleView::classCScribbleView"

msvcrtd.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Debug/scribble.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

scribble.exe - 6 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Wed, 25 May 2005 04:59:20 GMT
 scribble again

Quote:

> Could someone explain to me in layperson terms what these errors mean
> and how I can correct them. I am trying to learn the Scribble tutorial .
> This sample ( step 6 ) came with the MSDN subscription library and when
> I compile it I don't have any errors but when I try to built it this is
> what I get:
> Linking...
> scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public:

> scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static
> struct CRuntimeClass const CScribbleDoc::classCScribbleDoc"

> scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static
> struct CRuntimeClass const CChildFrame::classCChildFrame"

> scribble.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static
> struct CRuntimeClass const CScribbleView::classCScribbleView"

> msvcrtd.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
> Debug/scribble.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals
> Error executing link.exe.

> scribble.exe - 6 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Hi there,
'unresolved external' means a symbol (function or variable name) is
referred to within the program but when all the pieces are put together
into an exe that function or variable does not exist anywhere in the
program's memory.  More formally, a symbol has been declared but not
defined.

The CRuntimeClass errors look like a problem with this kind of MFC line:

IMPLEMENT_SERIAL(CScribbleDoc, CDocument)

Either the line is missing or it contains an incorrect class name.

The _main error means you started with a "Win32 console application"
type of project instead of an "MFC App Wizard" type of project.  This
means other settings might also be wrong so it would be best to start
over and get the right setup to begin with.  But this particular error
can be fixed by changing the /subsystem:console setting to
/subsystem:windows in the project settings linker page.  Happy
Scribbling!

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Wed, 25 May 2005 07:32:51 GMT

1. multithreading, again and again!

2. multithreading, again and again!

3. Have to build .exe again and again!

4. Managed C++ Scribble Sample: Are you for real?

5. Scribble pad source code needed

6. Initial Scribble Build in 5.0

7. Fatal errror C1001 on first build of Scribble

8. problems debugging tutorial "scribble"

9. Scribble in MS Office?

10. Scribble tutorial

11. MSVC++ 4.0 Scribble tutorial

12. Problem with Scribbles Tutorial !!