Designing remote debuggers
Author Message
 Designing remote debuggers

Hi,
I want to port or re-implement MSVCMON on my target PC, which runs my
own RTOS.
The intention is to make my-msvcmon talk to Visual Studio on the host
side, for debugging purposes.

The approach that am thinking of is re-implement all the DLLs that
MSVCMON is currently using and manage to use the same executable without

any changes. Again, the source code of MSVCMON is not available, hence
no question of recompilation of this.
To do this, I need more internal details on the implementation of
MSVCMON, and the whole remote debugging capabilities of microsoft's
de{*filter*}.
I COULD NOT get information from MSDN or from the web.

Does anyone have information on these. Request your immediate response.

Thanks
Srik

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:05:33 GMT
 Designing remote debuggers
A better approach to this would be to develop your own port supplier and
debug engine.  The information on this see:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

This is where you will find the information you need on the Visual Studio
Integration Program (VSIP).

A good place for questions on this would be the microsoft.public.vsnet.vsip
newsgroup.

Dave

Quote:
> Hi,
> I want to port or re-implement MSVCMON on my target PC, which runs my
> own RTOS.
> The intention is to make my-msvcmon talk to Visual Studio on the host
> side, for debugging purposes.

> The approach that am thinking of is re-implement all the DLLs that
> MSVCMON is currently using and manage to use the same executable without

> any changes. Again, the source code of MSVCMON is not available, hence
> no question of recompilation of this.
> To do this, I need more internal details on the implementation of
> MSVCMON, and the whole remote debugging capabilities of microsoft's
> de{*filter*}.
> I COULD NOT get information from MSDN or from the web.

> Does anyone have information on these. Request your immediate response.

> Thanks
> Srik

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:19:42 GMT
 Designing remote debuggers
What exactly did u mean by port supplier and debug engine.
I cud not get any  info about remote debugging from the site u mentioned.
Kindly help.

Srik

Quote:

> A better approach to this would be to develop your own port supplier and
> debug engine.  The information on this see:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> This is where you will find the information you need on the Visual Studio
> Integration Program (VSIP).

> A good place for questions on this would be the microsoft.public.vsnet.vsip
> newsgroup.

> Dave

> > Hi,
> > I want to port or re-implement MSVCMON on my target PC, which runs my
> > own RTOS.
> > The intention is to make my-msvcmon talk to Visual Studio on the host
> > side, for debugging purposes.

> > The approach that am thinking of is re-implement all the DLLs that
> > MSVCMON is currently using and manage to use the same executable without

> > any changes. Again, the source code of MSVCMON is not available, hence
> > no question of recompilation of this.
> > To do this, I need more internal details on the implementation of
> > MSVCMON, and the whole remote debugging capabilities of microsoft's
> > de{*filter*}.
> > I COULD NOT get information from MSDN or from the web.

> > Does anyone have information on these. Request your immediate response.

> > Thanks
> > Srik

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:20:22 GMT
 Designing remote debuggers
I had the same idea as you, but did not have the time to
reverse engineer the interface, and ended writing my own
simple de{*filter*}. It is no fun reinventing the wheel, though.

Quote:
> Hi,
> I want to port or re-implement MSVCMON on my target PC, which runs my
> own RTOS.
> The intention is to make my-msvcmon talk to Visual Studio on the host
> side, for debugging purposes.

> The approach that am thinking of is re-implement all the DLLs that
> MSVCMON is currently using and manage to use the same executable without

> any changes. Again, the source code of MSVCMON is not available, hence
> no question of recompilation of this.
> To do this, I need more internal details on the implementation of
> MSVCMON, and the whole remote debugging capabilities of microsoft's
> de{*filter*}.
> I COULD NOT get information from MSDN or from the web.

> Does anyone have information on these. Request your immediate response.

> Thanks
> Srik

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:16:15 GMT

1. Communicating with a remote program - a design question

2. how to set up remote debugger?

3. remote debugger doesn't work under win2k (VC6)

4. How to remote debug a system service and its com server?(VC6++ debugger)

5. how to set up remote debugger?

6. Remote debuggers

7. attach remote debugger to a service ??

8. Remote Debugger: DM.dll failed

9. Remote debugger crash when DirectDraw debug=3

10. Remote debugger crashes when loading a DLL

11. Remote Debugger Setup Problem

12. Remote Debugger in VC5