This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
Author Message
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?

For the past few months developers here have been getting the message "This
file has been modified outside of the source editor.  Do you want to reload
it?" on saves and builds.  Save alls sometimes does too.

1.  I'm not talking about compiler generated files like .plg or files like
.clw.  It's .cpp and .h files.
2.  All of the files are local to the machine.  The only server interaction
would be a "get" of the files from VSS.  After that time, all files are
local.
3.  Choosing the "automatically reload files" option is totally not for us.
That almost NEVER does the right thing.  And autosaving doesn't do anything;
think about it!
4.  When I save a file, the file is definitely saved, and whether I hit
"yes" or "no" to the "file modified" dialog, I get the exact same file in
the editor and my position in the editor does not change.  In other words,
there is no visible change in the editor.
5.  Once it starts complaining about a file, it never stops complaining for
a particular session.  Closing and re-opening the file doesn't do anything.
6.  If it's complaining about a file and I close and restart VC, the problem
goes away and there are no more problems with that file, although at any
time it may decide to start complaining, after which only shutting down and
restarting VC will make it go away.
7.  It's happening on Visual Studio 6 and SP 3 and 5 (don't know about SP 4)
under Win95 and under Win2000.
8.  It is totally freaking annoying and I'll send a $20 check to the first
person who solves this.
9.  When it's happening, I can hit <alt> fs (file save) to save a file over
and over and each time the stupid message comes up, but if I hit <alt> fl
(file save all) the message box does not come up.  However, it doesn't solve
the problem, since file save still brings up the message box.

-Michael Viking

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:39:58 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
if Ihad to guess, I'd say it is stored on a different machine than yours and
the clocks differ substantially and the file LOOKS like it is modified some
time in the future.

Quote:
> For the past few months developers here have been getting the message
"This
> file has been modified outside of the source editor.  Do you want to
reload
> it?" on saves and builds.  Save alls sometimes does too.

> 1.  I'm not talking about compiler generated files like .plg or files like
> .clw.  It's .cpp and .h files.
> 2.  All of the files are local to the machine.  The only server
interaction
> would be a "get" of the files from VSS.  After that time, all files are
> local.
> 3.  Choosing the "automatically reload files" option is totally not for
us.
> That almost NEVER does the right thing.  And autosaving doesn't do
anything;
> think about it!
> 4.  When I save a file, the file is definitely saved, and whether I hit
> "yes" or "no" to the "file modified" dialog, I get the exact same file in
> the editor and my position in the editor does not change.  In other words,
> there is no visible change in the editor.
> 5.  Once it starts complaining about a file, it never stops complaining
for
> a particular session.  Closing and re-opening the file doesn't do
anything.
> 6.  If it's complaining about a file and I close and restart VC, the
problem
> goes away and there are no more problems with that file, although at any
> time it may decide to start complaining, after which only shutting down
and
> restarting VC will make it go away.
> 7.  It's happening on Visual Studio 6 and SP 3 and 5 (don't know about SP
4)
> under Win95 and under Win2000.
> 8.  It is totally freaking annoying and I'll send a $20 check to the first
> person who solves this.
> 9.  When it's happening, I can hit <alt> fs (file save) to save a file
over
> and over and each time the stupid message comes up, but if I hit <alt> fl
> (file save all) the message box does not come up.  However, it doesn't
solve
> the problem, since file save still brings up the message box.

> -Michael Viking

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:21:30 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
explained that all the files are local.

Quote:
> if Ihad to guess, I'd say it is stored on a different machine than yours
and
> the clocks differ substantially and the file LOOKS like it is modified
some
> time in the future.

> > For the past few months developers here have been getting the message
> "This
> > file has been modified outside of the source editor.  Do you want to
> reload
> > it?" on saves and builds.  Save alls sometimes does too.

> > 1.  I'm not talking about compiler generated files like .plg or files
like
> > .clw.  It's .cpp and .h files.
> > 2.  All of the files are local to the machine.  The only server
> interaction
> > would be a "get" of the files from VSS.  After that time, all files are
> > local.
> > 3.  Choosing the "automatically reload files" option is totally not for
> us.
> > That almost NEVER does the right thing.  And autosaving doesn't do
> anything;
> > think about it!
> > 4.  When I save a file, the file is definitely saved, and whether I hit
> > "yes" or "no" to the "file modified" dialog, I get the exact same file
in
> > the editor and my position in the editor does not change.  In other
words,
> > there is no visible change in the editor.
> > 5.  Once it starts complaining about a file, it never stops complaining
> for
> > a particular session.  Closing and re-opening the file doesn't do
> anything.
> > 6.  If it's complaining about a file and I close and restart VC, the
> problem
> > goes away and there are no more problems with that file, although at any
> > time it may decide to start complaining, after which only shutting down
> and
> > restarting VC will make it go away.
> > 7.  It's happening on Visual Studio 6 and SP 3 and 5 (don't know about
SP
> 4)
> > under Win95 and under Win2000.
> > 8.  It is totally freaking annoying and I'll send a $20 check to the
first
> > person who solves this.
> > 9.  When it's happening, I can hit <alt> fs (file save) to save a file
> over
> > and over and each time the stupid message comes up, but if I hit <alt>
fl
> > (file save all) the message box does not come up.  However, it doesn't
> solve
> > the problem, since file save still brings up the message box.

> > -Michael Viking

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:33:40 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
That may have been a bit more sarcasm than was needed for a
response to a genuine effort to help.

(Spoken by someone who has been overly sarcastic himself)

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.humongous.com/

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:48:02 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own problem.
Quote:

> If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
> explained that all the files are local.

> > if Ihad to guess, I'd say it is stored on a different machine than yours
> and
> > the clocks differ substantially and the file LOOKS like it is modified
> some
> > time in the future.

> > > For the past few months developers here have been getting the message
> > "This
> > > file has been modified outside of the source editor.  Do you want to
> > reload
> > > it?" on saves and builds.  Save alls sometimes does too.

> > > 1.  I'm not talking about compiler generated files like .plg or files
> like
> > > .clw.  It's .cpp and .h files.
> > > 2.  All of the files are local to the machine.  The only server
> > interaction
> > > would be a "get" of the files from VSS.  After that time, all files are
> > > local.
> > > 3.  Choosing the "automatically reload files" option is totally not for
> > us.
> > > That almost NEVER does the right thing.  And autosaving doesn't do
> > anything;
> > > think about it!
> > > 4.  When I save a file, the file is definitely saved, and whether I hit
> > > "yes" or "no" to the "file modified" dialog, I get the exact same file
> in
> > > the editor and my position in the editor does not change.  In other
> words,
> > > there is no visible change in the editor.
> > > 5.  Once it starts complaining about a file, it never stops complaining
> > for
> > > a particular session.  Closing and re-opening the file doesn't do
> > anything.
> > > 6.  If it's complaining about a file and I close and restart VC, the
> > problem
> > > goes away and there are no more problems with that file, although at any
> > > time it may decide to start complaining, after which only shutting down
> > and
> > > restarting VC will make it go away.
> > > 7.  It's happening on Visual Studio 6 and SP 3 and 5 (don't know about
> SP
> > 4)
> > > under Win95 and under Win2000.
> > > 8.  It is totally freaking annoying and I'll send a $20 check to the
> first
> > > person who solves this.
> > > 9.  When it's happening, I can hit <alt> fs (file save) to save a file
> > over
> > > and over and each time the stupid message comes up, but if I hit <alt>
> fl
> > > (file save all) the message box does not come up.  However, it doesn't
> > solve
> > > the problem, since file save still brings up the message box.

> > > -Michael Viking

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:04:52 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
is it really considered help when you're not reading the post, just throwing
out the first thing that pops into your head?

marc

Quote:
> Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
problem.

> > If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
> > explained that all the files are local.

> > > if Ihad to guess, I'd say it is stored on a different machine than
yours
> > and
> > > the clocks differ substantially and the file LOOKS like it is modified
> > some
> > > time in the future.

> > > "This
> > > reload

> > like
> > > interaction
> > > us.
> > > anything;
> > in
> > words,
> > > for
> > > anything.
> > > problem
> > > and
> > SP
> > > 4)
> > first
> > > over
> > fl
> > > solve

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:12:21 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I wanted to
avoid the responses:
"the files are on the server" and
"you're looking at compiler generated files" and
"turn on automatic loading of modified files"
etc.
Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I found
that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't even
read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
2.  All of the files are local to the machine

Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

Michael Viking

Quote:
> Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
problem.

> > If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
> > explained that all the files are local.

> > > if Ihad to guess, I'd say it is stored on a different machine than
yours
> > and
> > > the clocks differ substantially and the file LOOKS like it is modified
> > some
> > > time in the future.

> > > "This
> > > reload

> > like
> > > interaction
> > > us.
> > > anything;
> > in
> > words,
> > > for
> > > anything.
> > > problem
> > > and
> > SP
> > > 4)
> > first
> > > over
> > fl
> > > solve

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:33:56 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
Point taken. But how much effort would it have required to ignore the reply?
Quote:

> I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I wanted to
> avoid the responses:
> "the files are on the server" and
> "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> etc.
> Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I found
> that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't even
> read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

> Michael Viking

> > Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
> problem.

> > > If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
> > > explained that all the files are local.

> yours
> > > and
> > > some

> message

> files
> > > like
> are
> for
> hit
> file
> > > in
> > > words,
> complaining
> any
> down
> about
> > > SP
> > > first
> file
> <alt>
> > > fl
> doesn't

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:50:50 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
how accurate is your cmos clock?

it might be slipping by a few seconds, i believe that anything over 2
seconds difference throws windows off.

marc

Quote:
> I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I wanted
> avoid the responses:
> "the files are on the server" and
> "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> etc.
> Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I found
> that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't
even
> read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

> Michael Viking

> > Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
> problem.

> > > If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
> > > explained that all the files are local.

> yours
> > > and
> > > some

> message

> files
> > > like
> are
> for
> hit
> file
> > > in
> > > words,
> complaining
> any
> down
> about
> > > SP
> > > first
> file
> <alt>
> > > fl
> doesn't

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:07:44 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
Point taken on the sarcasm as well.  I wasn't in a good mood to begin with
and the post definitely didn't help.

Quote:
> Point taken. But how much effort would it have required to ignore the
reply?

> > I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I
wanted to
> > avoid the responses:
> > "the files are on the server" and
> > "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> > "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> > etc.
> > Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I
found
> > that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't
even
> > read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> > 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> > Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

> > Michael Viking

> > > Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
> > problem.

> > yours

> > message

> > files
> > are
> > for
> > hit
> > file
> > complaining
> > any
> > down
> > about
> > file
> > <alt>
> > doesn't

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:13:50 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
How can I assess this angle?
Thanks,
-Michael Viking

Quote:
> how accurate is your cmos clock?

> it might be slipping by a few seconds, i believe that anything over 2
> seconds difference throws windows off.

> marc

> > I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I
wanted
> > avoid the responses:
> > "the files are on the server" and
> > "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> > "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> > etc.
> > Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I
found
> > that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't
> even
> > read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> > 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> > Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

> > Michael Viking

> > > Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
> > problem.

> > yours
> modified

> > message

> > files
> files
> > are
> not
> > for
> > hit
> > file
> other
> > complaining
> the
> at
> > any
> > down
> > about
> the
> > file
> > <alt>
> > doesn't

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:16:22 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?

Quote:
> I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I wanted
> avoid the responses:
> "the files are on the server" and
> "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> etc.
> Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I found
> that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't
even
> read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

Be aggravated all you want.  But if you express it here publicly, don't
expect much more help.  The advice you get here is free.  If you don't like
it, then go hire a professional consultant to solve your problem.

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:18:16 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
I think I know what his problem is but dare not say anything in case I get it
wrong. I do not want a verbal drubbing. :)
Quote:

> I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I wanted to
> avoid the responses:
> "the files are on the server" and
> "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> etc.
> Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I found
> that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't even
> read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

> Michael Viking

> > Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
> problem.

> > > If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
> > > explained that all the files are local.

> yours
> > > and
> > > some

> message

> files
> > > like
> are
> for
> hit
> file
> > > in
> > > words,
> complaining
> any
> down
> about
> > > SP
> > > first
> file
> <alt>
> > > fl
> doesn't

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:39:22 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
Funny,  Item #2 does talk about getting files from a server.  THEN the files
are local.  When files are copied, they will retain the source's
creation/modification date.  (Folders get the current time.)

So folks, what have we learned from all this:

1)  Maybe the responder did not fully comprehend what the original poster
was trying to say.

2)  The original poster provided ambiguous information by saying he had
local files, but it appears they are copied from a server.  Therefore,
the responder's comments may still be valid.

3)  This is a free service and you have to take it with a grain of salt.
But remember, it is way better and way cheaper then what you would get from
MS direct!

Quote:
> I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I wanted
> avoid the responses:
> "the files are on the server" and
> "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> etc.
> Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I found
> that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't
even
> read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

> Michael Viking

> > Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
> problem.

> > > If I had to guess, I'd say you had trouble reading the part where I
> > > explained that all the files are local.

> yours
> > > and
> > > some

> message

> files
> > > like
> are
> for
> hit
> file
> > > in
> > > words,
> complaining
> any
> down
> about
> > > SP
> > > first
> file
> <alt>
> > > fl
> doesn't

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:45:58 GMT
 This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?
Yes, I believe this...NOT

Quote:
> I think I know what his problem is but dare not say anything in case I get
it
> wrong. I do not want a verbal drubbing. :)

> > I spent a lot of time researching my problem on the Internet and I
wanted to
> > avoid the responses:
> > "the files are on the server" and
> > "you're looking at compiler generated files" and
> > "turn on automatic loading of modified files"
> > etc.
> > Then what do I see?  A post telling me my files are on a server.  I
found
> > that to be NO HELP whatsoever.  In fact, it was clear the person didn't
even
> > read the post he was responding to.  See item 2:
> > 2.  All of the files are local to the machine

> > Why shouldn't I be aggravated?

> > Michael Viking

> > > Someone like this AH doesn't deserve any help. Let him stew in his own
> > problem.

> > yours

> > message

> > files
> > are
> > for
> > hit
> > file
> > complaining
> > any
> > down
> > about
> > file
> > <alt>
> > doesn't

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 05:58:20 GMT

 [ 27 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. File was modified outside the source editor...

2. File was modified outside the source editor...

3. clw file always modified outside of the source editor

4. file has been modified outside the source editor

5. File was modified outside the source editor...

6. Document has been modified outside the source editor message

7. This file has been modified outside of the source editor. Do you want to reload it?

8. File modifid outside of the source editor

9. VC IDE doesn't auto reload externally modified files

10. "File in editor was changed outside the editor! Reload?"

11. "File has been modified outside source editor"

12. "File has been modified outside source editor"