Distributing debug files to end user
Author Message
 Distributing debug files to end user

I have an end user who is reporting a GPF in my app. He has sent me a Dr.
Watson log, but the assembler code in that log has no app. symbol names. Is
there some way that I can distribute the debug information in my app. and
place it on the user's machine such that Dr. Watson reports symbolic
information?

Many thanks.

--
To reply via e-mail remove NOSPAM from the reply address

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing debug files to end user
Not so sure whether Dr. Watson is smart enough to use debug symbol files.

But from the address, if it's in your module, you can find the source code
line with a map file.

Feng Yuan

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing debug files to end user
Many thanks, Feng.

Quote:
> Not so sure whether Dr. Watson is smart enough to use debug symbol files.

> But from the address, if it's in your module, you can find the source code
> line with a map file.

> Feng Yuan

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing debug files to end user
Have a look here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period00/bugslayer0100.htm
DrWatson can build dmp file you can load in WinDBG, and you will get source
code line and context variable.
For that you need to generate symbols for your project and install them on
target computer.

Sincerely,
Rmi.

Quote:
> I have an end user who is reporting a GPF in my app. He has sent me a Dr.
> Watson log, but the assembler code in that log has no app. symbol names.
Is
> there some way that I can distribute the debug information in my app. and
> place it on the user's machine such that Dr. Watson reports symbolic
> information?

> Many thanks.

> --
> To reply via e-mail remove NOSPAM from the reply address

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing debug files to end user
Thank you Remi. I will give that a try.

Regards.

Quote:
> Have a look here
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period00/bugslayer0100.htm
> DrWatson can build dmp file you can load in WinDBG, and you will get
source
> code line and context variable.
> For that you need to generate symbols for your project and install them on
> target computer.

> Sincerely,
> Rmi.

> > I have an end user who is reporting a GPF in my app. He has sent me a
Dr.
> > Watson log, but the assembler code in that log has no app. symbol names.
> Is
> > there some way that I can distribute the debug information in my app.
and
> > place it on the user's machine such that Dr. Watson reports symbolic
> > information?

> > Many thanks.

> > --
> > To reply via e-mail remove NOSPAM from the reply address

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Distributing ODBC 3.0 to end-users

2. putting end of file character in binary file (cutting the file short)

3. Requirements to run .NET for end user.

4. Installing DAO for end user???????

5. ODBC and end user

6. ?Determining crash location based on end user error messages

7. Ending a user interface thread

8. Block the user until end of a SHFileOperation ?

9. Ending a user interface thread

10. file pointer at end of file?

11. Binary file I/O using ofstream::write() blows away remaining data to end of file

12. IDE Closes documents when debug session ends