W2K Buggy Issue
Author Message
 W2K Buggy Issue

Does it work in both debug and release on the other OS's?

Jeff

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 03:23:40 GMT
 W2K Buggy Issue
99.9% probability is that the problem is that you have buggy
code and that the bug only shows up on Win2K.

This is not particularly unusual.

Have you enabled symbols in your release build? That would
make debugging much easier.

You should be glad that it crashes on Win2K so reliably -
otherwise this presumed bug would end up getting shipped.

Quote:

> Hi ppl,

> Something I found interesting here...anyone care to try
> this.  The attachment contains 2 other zip files:

> 1. vbtestapp.zip : contains a simple vb test app with
> source code + vb compiled exe + vc compiled release dll
> (testdll.dll) + vc debug compiled dll (dbg_testdll.dll).
> 2. vctestdll.zip : contains the source code for testdll.dll

> The only difference between the 2 dll files are that one
> is compiled in debug configuration while the other is
> compiled in release configuration.  The testapp.exe will
> call the testdll.dll to return some values.  Try the app
> on W2K using the debug version of the dll and u will get
> the apps to work properly.  But try the apps on W2K with
> the release version of the dll and u get the error msg

> 'Application Error : The instruction "xxx" referenced
> memory at "yyy".  The memory could not be "read".'

> Note that the W2K OS is patched to SP2 and the visual
> studio 6 in used is patched to SP5 and I'm using the
> latest Platform SDK (08012001).

> The interesting part about this whole issue is that try
> the apps with both dlls on any Win95, 98, NT platform and
> the darn thing will work.

> Anyone care to comment about this or have any workarounds??

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                  Name: Vstest.zip
>    Vstest.zip    Type: Zip Compressed Data (application/x-zip-compressed)
>              Encoding: base64

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:49:48 GMT
 W2K Buggy Issue
Usually, bugs that show up only in Release builds are related to
uninitialized data. Maybe that's the problem.

iuli

Quote:
> Hi ppl,

> Something I found interesting here...anyone care to try
> this.  The attachment contains 2 other zip files:

> 1. vbtestapp.zip : contains a simple vb test app with
> source code + vb compiled exe + vc compiled release dll
> (testdll.dll) + vc debug compiled dll (dbg_testdll.dll).
> 2. vctestdll.zip : contains the source code for testdll.dll

> The only difference between the 2 dll files are that one
> is compiled in debug configuration while the other is
> compiled in release configuration.  The testapp.exe will
> call the testdll.dll to return some values.  Try the app
> on W2K using the debug version of the dll and u will get
> the apps to work properly.  But try the apps on W2K with
> the release version of the dll and u get the error msg

> 'Application Error : The instruction "xxx" referenced
> memory at "yyy".  The memory could not be "read".'

> Note that the W2K OS is patched to SP2 and the visual
> studio 6 in used is patched to SP5 and I'm using the
> latest Platform SDK (08012001).

> The interesting part about this whole issue is that try
> the apps with both dlls on any Win95, 98, NT platform and
> the darn thing will work.

> Anyone care to comment about this or have any workarounds??

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:24:34 GMT

1. W2K Buggy Issue

2. W2K Buggy Issue

3. Security/Context issue for W2K Service

4. buggy compiler or buggy programmer???

5. W2k multilanguage platform CD vs localized versions of W2k

6. Serialization issue or Socket comm issue??

7. VS.NET /O2 optimization buggy?

8. Dispose method - buggy???

9. Buggy Code on Net

10. Is this buggy code - or not?