VC++ 4.0 Standard and console apps debugging
Author Message
 VC++ 4.0 Standard and console apps debugging

Can I debug a console application created with VC++ 4.0 "standard"?

I must be missing something obvious, when I use Step into for a MFC
Windows app, it works fine; doing it with a console app just runs it,
never stopping.  I am using the debug build option.  What else might I
be missing?

Pointers to the documentation welcomed as well; I realize this must be a
very obviuos question, but been searching for a day to no avail.

--

Mgr. Software Engineering        Voice:  (US) 540/967-0087
ARAMARK Mag & Book Services

Sat, 12 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++ 4.0 Standard and console apps debugging

A followup to my own posting below, with two things I've found that
might be meaningful...

If I run a created program from the NT command console (I'm using NT 4.0
BTW), and IF the program terminates with an error (like access
violation), and if I cancel, I'm taken into the developer studio and it
comes in correctly in DEBUG.    So far that's the only way I have found
to get there.

When I run the program from the developer studio it comes up in a
DOS-like box, but I notice it is a little too DOS-like; filenames are
displayed in the DOS 8-character style, I cannot get a scroll bar, etc.
It looks just like the box you get if you do a RUN, and run COMMAND.COM
instead of CMD.EXE.  I do not know if this is related to my problem, but
I suspect it cannot be a good thing.  Yet I see nothing that controls
how the Developer Studio creates the Console Application window when you
run a console app from within it.  Is there a way to control that, to
get me into a CMD-like environment instead of a COMMAND.COM-like
environment?

And now that I know the Developer Studio de{*filter*} CAN work, I'm more
anxious than ever to be able to just step into it to debug it.  Any
advice welcome!

Quote:

> Can I debug a console application created with VC++ 4.0 "standard"?

> I must be missing something obvious, when I use Step into for a MFC
> Windows app, it works fine; doing it with a console app just runs it,
> never stopping.  I am using the debug build option.  What else might I
> be missing?

> Pointers to the documentation welcomed as well; I realize this must be a
> very obviuos question, but been searching for a day to no avail.

--

Mgr. Software Engineering        Voice:  (US) 540/967-0087
ARAMARK Mag & Book Services

Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual C++ 4.0 Standard Console App issue

2. NT 4.0 and VC 4.0 Debug symbols

3. Getting the application path with vc++ 4.0 standard

4. Visual C++ Standard Ed. Console App. Issue

5. VC++ 4.0 Standard Edition bug fixed in 5.0?

6. VC++ 4.0 Professional vs.Standard query

7. Installing the patch for VC++ 4.0 Standard Edition

8. Conflict between vector.h and winsock.h using VC++ 4.0 Standard

9. Debugging Console Apps

10. Debug Win32 Console app

11. Debugging Win32 console apps

12. Debugging Console App?