SymGetSymFromAddr changed in W2K SP3 ? 
Author Message
 SymGetSymFromAddr changed in W2K SP3 ?

Hello,

I have a problem with the function "SymGetSymFromAddr" from dbghelp.dll in
W2K SP3 with Visual Studio 7 installed.

It always returns "ERROR_INVALID_ADDRESS (487)" if I pass an address from
the current exe.

It worked perfectly with all other versions...

The only known problem is W2KSP3 and VS7.
If I use VS6 it also works...

It seems the be a problem with VS7...

If you want to test the problem you can use my Mem-Leak finder:
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Greetings
  Jochen

  Do you need a memory-leak finder ?
  http://www.*-*-*.com/



Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:24:22 GMT  
 SymGetSymFromAddr changed in W2K SP3 ?
check if the symbol information module is loaded during SymInitialize or
SymLoadModule.
try changing the _NT_ALT_SYMBOL_PATH variable to point to you debug
information


Quote:
> Hello,

> I have a problem with the function "SymGetSymFromAddr" from dbghelp.dll in
> W2K SP3 with Visual Studio 7 installed.

> It always returns "ERROR_INVALID_ADDRESS (487)" if I pass an address from
> the current exe.

> It worked perfectly with all other versions...

> The only known problem is W2KSP3 and VS7.
> If I use VS6 it also works...

> It seems the be a problem with VS7...

> If you want to test the problem you can use my Mem-Leak finder:
>   http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/leakfinder.asp

> --
> Greetings
>   Jochen

>   Do you need a memory-leak finder ?
>   http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/leakfinder.asp



Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:20:06 GMT  
 SymGetSymFromAddr changed in W2K SP3 ?

Quote:

>> I have a problem with the function "SymGetSymFromAddr" from
>> dbghelp.dll in W2K SP3 with Visual Studio 7 installed.
> check if the symbol information module is loaded during SymInitialize
> or SymLoadModule.
> try changing the _NT_ALT_SYMBOL_PATH variable to point to you debug
> information

Thanx for your answer...

But the debug symbols (PDB-Files) are present.
It works on all other platforms (XP / NT).

I call SymLoadModule for each module (and also the EXE).
And it returns the address correctly...

--
Greetings
  Jochen

  Do you need a memory-leak finder ?
  http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/leakfinder.asp



Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:16:57 GMT  
 SymGetSymFromAddr changed in W2K SP3 ?

Quote:

> I have a problem with the function "SymGetSymFromAddr" from
> dbghelp.dll in W2K SP3 with Visual Studio 7 installed.

Ok, I found the problem...
The VS7 installation does NOT install the newer dbghelp.dll.
So the old version is still there and we are unable to read the new PDB
files...

I think this is an bug in the VS7 installation...

--
Greetings
  Jochen

  Do you need a memory-leak finder ?
  http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/leakfinder.asp



Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:06:01 GMT  
 SymGetSymFromAddr changed in W2K SP3 ?
Jochen,

Quote:
>Ok, I found the problem...
>The VS7 installation does NOT install the newer dbghelp.dll.
>So the old version is still there and we are unable to read the new PDB
>files...

>I think this is an bug in the VS7 installation...

Can you give me more info about this problem?
What are versions of dbghelp.dll in your machine?
If you can tell me the steps to reproduce the problem here that would be
great!
Please feel free to send me private mail (remove "online." from my id).

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------

Quote:
>Subject: Re: SymGetSymFromAddr changed in W2K SP3 ?



>User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25


>> I have a problem with the function "SymGetSymFromAddr" from
>> dbghelp.dll in W2K SP3 with Visual Studio 7 installed.

>Ok, I found the problem...
>The VS7 installation does NOT install the newer dbghelp.dll.
>So the old version is still there and we are unable to read the new PDB
>files...

>I think this is an bug in the VS7 installation...

>--
>Greetings
>  Jochen

>  Do you need a memory-leak finder ?
>  http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/leakfinder.asp



Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:51:12 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VC++ 6 SP3 W2K ClassView/Class Wizard not available problem

2. Create/Change User Account of W2K Server Using C#

3. W2k multilanguage platform CD vs localized versions of W2k

4. Can't get symbol name with SymGetSymFromAddr

5. CString::Find with null strings changed in SP3?

6. VC++ SP3 compiled EXE has UI bugs on clients WITHOUT VC SP3

7. Problem Register COM Component in COM+(VC7,W2K)

8. Assembly call in driver that crashes W2K

9. W2k Question: Please help

10. C#: Remote Execution from W2k --> Unix

11. Question conserning FAQ 14.9 and Windows W2k with visual C 6.0

12. C# support by IIS of W2k Professional - workstation?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software