How to get VC6 Release Build debug information
Author Message
 How to get VC6 Release Build debug information

I am moving my project from VC++ ver 5 to VC++ ver 6. Debug build runs OK, but
release build shows some problems, so I would like to trace the problem under
de{*filter*}. I set compiler settings as DEBUG INFO="Program Database" (optimization
is "Maximize Speed", as under VC5) and linker settings "Generate debug info", but
de{*filter*} incorrectly displays values of local variables and "this" variable in
LOCALS window. Some variables are not shown at all (looks like they are stored in
registers).
How to force the compiler to build such release version that can be traced
successfully under de{*filter*}, it means that values of local variables are
displayed correctly ?

Thanks in advance,
Jack Napiatek

Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:46:13 GMT
 How to get VC6 Release Build debug information

Quote:

> I am moving my project from VC++ ver 5 to VC++ ver 6. Debug build runs OK, but
> release build shows some problems, so I would like to trace the problem under
> de{*filter*}. I set compiler settings as DEBUG INFO="Program Database" (optimization
> is "Maximize Speed", as under VC5) and linker settings "Generate debug info", but
> de{*filter*} incorrectly displays values of local variables and "this" variable in
> LOCALS window. Some variables are not shown at all (looks like they are stored in
> registers).
> How to force the compiler to build such release version that can be traced
> successfully under de{*filter*}, it means that values of local variables are
> displayed correctly ?

> Thanks in advance,
> Jack Napiatek

You could select "Optimizations: Disable" in the release build
settings, but then it would not really be a release build and the
problems you are investigating could be hidden.  If you need to debug
an optimized version you must live with the fact that many local
variables (and many code lines) cease to exist.  Some knowledge of
assembly language becomes necessary.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:11:23 GMT
 How to get VC6 Release Build debug information
Disable Optimizations.

If Optimizations is turned on, it is possible that some local variables are
ignored in executive code.

yhhuang
ICQ:91074870

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:45:51 GMT

1. VC6 Debug Build Works Fine - but Release Build Gives Error

2. Debug Information in VC++5 Release Build?

3. Debug build breaks, Release build ok

4. Debug Build vs. Release Build

5. Debug Build works Release build doesn't?

6. Protection Violation in Release Build but not in Debug Build

7. Debug build works correctly but release build doesnt (sometimes)

8. Debug build works, release build crashes!

9. Error in Release build but not Debug build

10. Message Handler on Release build and debug build

11. Differences between release builds and debug builds?

12. Debug build breaks, Release build ok.