how to debug in release mode ?
Author Message
 how to debug in release mode ?

Hi,

    Is it possible to Debug a (COM) Dll which is crashing in release mode
through changing the project settings? This Dll is working fine in Debug
mode, but when I go to release mode it crashes at some points.

    If so how can I do it ?

Thanks,
Saman

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 20:12:42 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?
From an earlier post:

Easy:

In the Project Settings dialog box, select Win32 Release in the settings to
modify your release builds only.
On the C/C++ tab, General Category, Debug Info combo box, select Program
database.
Equivalent to /Zi.
Next select the Link tab, General Category, check Generate Debug Info.
Equivalent to /DEBUG.
Next still on the Link tab, Debug Category, un-check separate types.
Equivalent to /PDBTYPE:CON.
You also need to type /OPT:REF in the Project Options edit box on the Link
tab.
Also for your debug builds make sure that compilations are done with /GZ
(Catch Release-Build Errors in Debug Build).

Nick

--
Nick Kotarski

Quote:
> Hi,

>     Is it possible to Debug a (COM) Dll which is crashing in release mode
> through changing the project settings? This Dll is working fine in Debug
> mode, but when I go to release mode it crashes at some points.

>     If so how can I do it ?

> Thanks,
> Saman

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:39:14 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?

Generate debug info also for release build....
Project -> Settings -> C/C++ -> General -> Debug info -> Program database
Project -> Settings -> Link -> Generate debug info.

--

Jan Bares
(remove no.spam from my email address)

Quote:
> Hi,

>     Is it possible to Debug a (COM) Dll which is crashing in release mode
> through changing the project settings? This Dll is working fine in Debug
> mode, but when I go to release mode it crashes at some points.

>     If so how can I do it ?

> Thanks,
> Saman

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:40:58 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?
Hello,

Quote:
>In the Project Settings dialog box, select Win32 Release in the settings
>to modify your release builds only.

But one needs to stop before the release version differs from the debug
version only by its name. In the debug-version some default initializations
(especially of pointers) may prevent the crashing, also the different
implementation of "new" may cause the absence of a crash. So my question
is: do the named settings _only_ add debug information without changing
this behaviour?

Greetings,
Ralf

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:03:15 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?
Check out http://www.codeproject.com/debug/releasemode.asp

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:12:42 +0600, "Saman"

Quote:

>Hi,

>    Is it possible to Debug a (COM) Dll which is crashing in release mode
>through changing the project settings? This Dll is working fine in Debug
>mode, but when I go to release mode it crashes at some points.

>    If so how can I do it ?

>Thanks,
>Saman

Don Grasberger

(remove --- from address to e-mail)

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:31:02 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?
You may define _DEBUG....but you need not crashing release version, not
crashing debug will not help you.

--

Jan Bares
(remove no.spam from my email address)
JPCAD Graphics Engine developer, surf to http://www.antek.cz

Quote:
> Hello,

> >In the Project Settings dialog box, select Win32 Release in the settings
> >to modify your release builds only.

> But one needs to stop before the release version differs from the debug
> version only by its name. In the debug-version some default
initializations
> (especially of pointers) may prevent the crashing, also the different
> implementation of "new" may cause the absence of a crash. So my question
> is: do the named settings _only_ add debug information without changing
> this behaviour?

> Greetings,
> Ralf

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 23:40:12 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?
Isn't it a little stupid to put debug info in the releaseversion?
G. Donners

Quote:
> You may define _DEBUG....but you need not crashing release version, not
> crashing debug will not help you.

> --

> Jan Bares
> (remove no.spam from my email address)
> JPCAD Graphics Engine developer, surf to http://www.antek.cz

> > Hello,

> > >In the Project Settings dialog box, select Win32 Release in the
settings
> > >to modify your release builds only.

> > But one needs to stop before the release version differs from the debug
> > version only by its name. In the debug-version some default
> initializations
> > (especially of pointers) may prevent the crashing, also the different
> > implementation of "new" may cause the absence of a crash. So my question
> > is: do the named settings _only_ add debug information without changing
> > this behaviour?

> > Greetings,
> > Ralf

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 07:44:09 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?

Quote:
>Isn't it a little stupid to put debug info in the releaseversion?

Did you never have the problem, that your release version crashes, while
your debug did not? Well some people have this from time to time. The
real problem now is to find out, where these problems occur. Then you need
debug information. Of course you exclude them, after you got rid of your
dangling pointer or whatever.

Greetings,
Ralf

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:07:40 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?

Quote:
> Isn't it a little stupid to put debug info in the releaseversion?

Actually no it isn't stupid.
If you follow the instructions I gave before the exe or dll is only a few
bytes bigger, by the size of the pdb name.
You are not forced to ship the pdb file.
If you keep the pdb file, as you should, you will be able to debug what your
customers have in case of post release problems.

Nick

--
Nick Kotarski

Quote:
> Isn't it a little stupid to put debug info in the releaseversion?
> G. Donners

> > You may define _DEBUG....but you need not crashing release version, not
> > crashing debug will not help you.

> > --

> > Jan Bares
> > (remove no.spam from my email address)
> > JPCAD Graphics Engine developer, surf to http://www.antek.cz

> > > Hello,

> settings

> > > But one needs to stop before the release version differs from the
debug
> > > version only by its name. In the debug-version some default
> > initializations
> > > (especially of pointers) may prevent the crashing, also the different
> > > implementation of "new" may cause the absence of a crash. So my
question
> > > is: do the named settings _only_ add debug information without
changing
> > > this behaviour?

> > > Greetings,
> > > Ralf

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 18:53:23 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?

Quote:
> Isn't it a little stupid to put debug info in the releaseversion?

Isn't it a little stupid not to have debug info enabled in the release
version?

Debugging the debug version is nice, and is certainly easier, but
ultimately it doesn't matter whether the debug version runs, because
that's not what you ship to your customers. If you find bugs in
your release version, either before or after ship, it is crucial
that you have debug information enabled. And, as Nick says,
the debug information goes into a separate file so you don't need
to ship it.

When we shipped TA:Kingdoms we got a lot of crash reports
back and our debug information, along with error log
recording and other tools, let us quickly figure out what they
were so that we could deal with them quickly and cheaply.
They were mostly video driver bugs and copy protection bugs,
but if we couldn't prove that or reproduce them in house, we
would have wasted a lot of money and had a lot of unhappy
customers.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.humongous.com/

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 04:19:59 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?
Don't forget to add /opt:ref to the linker settings - otherwise your
executables get bloated.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.humongous.com/
Send job applications by e-mail, post technical questions
to the newsgroups please. Thanks.

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 04:20:40 GMT
 how to debug in release mode ?
Quote:

> Isn't it a little stupid to put debug info in the releaseversion?

Why is it stupid?

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:16:12 GMT

1. how to debug in release mode ?

2. How to debug in release mode..?

3. How to debug in release mode..?

4. how to debug in release mode ?

5. Going from Debug to Release Mode

6. Going from Debug to Release Mode

7. VC6 Debug vs Release mode

8. exception in debug n release mode

9. Results can change between Debug and Release mode?

10. double value is different in DEBUG and RELEASE mode

11. Problem switching from Debug to Release mode

12. Helps need on adding debug info to release mode so to debug release code