breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)
Author Message
 breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)

Hi.  I've built a simple ATL/COM app via the ATL COM AppWizard in VC6.
The server type is Service (EXE).  It's just a bare-bones server right
now, and has one ATL object with one interface/method, and I used the
appropriate wizards to create them (all standard stuff).   Running on
Win2k Pro.

I then created a separate MFC/COM app as a test bench to call the
function.  All works fine here - breakpoints that are set work when hit
in the VC6 de{*filter*}.

What's confounding me is that I've also written an ISAPI/ATL/COM
extension to IIS 5 that calls this function.  When that call is made, a
second copy of my server is launched (verified through Task Manager),
and the breakpoints in my 1st active debugging session never hit.

Thanks for any help.  I'm pulling out what little remains of my hair on
this one.

--
Thanks,
Ed Pfromer

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:30:06 GMT
 breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)
You're not debugging the right server instance !

Quote:
> Hi.  I've built a simple ATL/COM app via the ATL COM AppWizard in VC6.
> The server type is Service (EXE).  It's just a bare-bones server right
> now, and has one ATL object with one interface/method, and I used the
> appropriate wizards to create them (all standard stuff).   Running on
> Win2k Pro.

> I then created a separate MFC/COM app as a test bench to call the
> function.  All works fine here - breakpoints that are set work when hit
> in the VC6 de{*filter*}.

> What's confounding me is that I've also written an ISAPI/ATL/COM
> extension to IIS 5 that calls this function.  When that call is made, a
> second copy of my server is launched (verified through Task Manager),
> and the breakpoints in my 1st active debugging session never hit.

> Thanks for any help.  I'm pulling out what little remains of my hair on
> this one.

> --
> Thanks,
> Ed Pfromer

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:46:56 GMT
 breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)
Is there a way to force a single instance?

Quote:

--
Thanks,
Ed Pfromer

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:25:03 GMT
 breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)
See msdn documentation on "DECLARE_CLASSFACTORY_SINGLETON"

Quote:
> Is there a way to force a single instance?

> > You're not debugging the right server instance !

> > > Hi.  I've built a simple ATL/COM app via the ATL COM AppWizard in VC6.
> > > The server type is Service (EXE).  It's just a bare-bones server right
> > > now, and has one ATL object with one interface/method, and I used the
> > > appropriate wizards to create them (all standard stuff).   Running on
> > > Win2k Pro.

> > > I then created a separate MFC/COM app as a test bench to call the
> > > function.  All works fine here - breakpoints that are set work when
hit
> > > in the VC6 de{*filter*}.

> > > What's confounding me is that I've also written an ISAPI/ATL/COM
> > > extension to IIS 5 that calls this function.  When that call is made,
> > > second copy of my server is launched (verified through Task Manager),
> > > and the breakpoints in my 1st active debugging session never hit.

> > > Thanks for any help.  I'm pulling out what little remains of my hair
on
> > > this one.

> > > --
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ed Pfromer

> --
> Thanks,
> Ed Pfromer

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:01:58 GMT
 breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)
I'd like to scream.  I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work.
Figuring that it had something to do with security, I did some research
and found "DCOM Architecture" in MSDN and found the RunAs attribute for
the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \AppId setting in the registry.  Note in one of
the examples, it is documented to be set to: "InteractiveUser".  Tried
this and it too wouldn't work.

I started sniffing around and saw similar documentation, but the
difference was a space between Interactive and User.  And voila, that
worked.

So, RunAs should be set to "Interactive User", and things work as
expected.

What a wild goose chase!

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Quote:

--
Thanks,
Ed Pfromer

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 05:40:03 GMT

1. breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)

2. Problem debugging VB COM object from a ATL-Service

3. When debug ATL/VB client - breakpoints in ATL project become disabled

4. Can't link non-debug ATL service

5. How to debug ATL com's in ASP

6. Can't Compile Release version only Debug ( ATL COM server )

7. ATL COM - Passing ATL COM classes through another ATL COM class in the same app

8. Cannot start service ATL COM Service

9. Connection points between a VB COM-based and ATL COM-based (NT Service) MTA

10. Hit cancel to debug doesn't work

11. Can't find debug symbols in a debug exe

12. Debugging dll problem (doesn't stop in breakpoint)