Creating symbol files
Author Message
 Creating symbol files

I am trying to create a symbol file out of the pdb or the
exe file, with no success so far. The reason I need a sym
file is because the pdb file is 30MB and I do not want to
ship this to the customers. I was hoping the sym file
could be smaller. I need the symbol file to accompany my
exe file in order to provide meaningful stack dumps during
rutime crashes.

If anyone knows how to create a symbol file I would
appreciate it.

Thanks

Akis

Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:11:41 GMT
 Creating symbol files
There is no way to convert a pdb to a sym file. You should ship the PDB. To
reduce the PDB size you can build a stripped version. Look at the
/PDBSTRIPPED option for the linker.

Azeem.

--------------------

>Subject: Creating symbol files
>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 00:11:41 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.de{*filter*}

>I am trying to create a symbol file out of the pdb or the
>exe file, with no success so far. The reason I need a sym
>file is because the pdb file is 30MB and I do not want to
>ship this to the customers. I was hoping the sym file
>could be smaller. I need the symbol file to accompany my
>exe file in order to provide meaningful stack dumps during
>rutime crashes.

>If anyone knows how to create a symbol file I would
>appreciate it.

>Thanks

>Akis

Tue, 06 Dec 2005 05:20:53 GMT

1. Cannot create symbol files in win2000 using VC++ v5.0 (sp3).

2. Creating a symbol file

3. Problem creating DBG symbol files.

4. Creating DBG symbol files.

5. Check the file size and number symbols in a file using C in Unix

6. Opening Minidump file with VS.NET and a missing symbol file

7. Linking Problem when trying to create ReleaseUMinDependency[error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main]

8. Unresolved external symbol message when creating a template class with Visual C++ 5

9. Creating Release DLL -- unresolved external symbol _main

10. unresolved external symbol when creating an avi

11. C problem involving creating creating your own .LIB file

12. VC7: Using symbol server for symbols AND modules