I need to profile, but I cannot run ...
Author Message
 I need to profile, but I cannot run ...

Dear all,

I would like your help with the following problem. I have an
application (lets call it C), which I need to profile, to find where I
should direct my efforts to improve its performance. However, this
application cannot be started from the command line, nor from Visual
Studio (Visual C++ 6.0); it has to be started from another application
(lets call this one S).

When I ask Visual Studio to profile application C, it immediatelly
starts this application, which does not work. I debug application C by
starting it from application S and then attaching the Visual Studio
de{*filter*} to it, but I cannot find a way to start the profiling at the
time of the attach. Is this not possible, or am I missing the obvious?

Alternatively, is there a way for application S to start application C
with profiling active for application C?

Or is there another newsgroup where I may find an answer to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen.

Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:44:09 GMT
 I need to profile, but I cannot run ...
Won't the multiple DLL method work in this case?
If you want you can try this from the command line:

PREP /OM /FC /FT 1.exe 2.dll 3.dll
PROFILE 1.exe
PREP /M  1
PLIST 1 > 1.out

If 2.dll and 3.dll are loaded runtime then
you'll have to replace the *.dll files with the generated *._ll files after
the 'PREP' command and then continue the same way.

Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:10:30 GMT
 I need to profile, but I cannot run ...

Quote:

> Won't the multiple DLL method work in this case?
> If you want you can try this from the command line:

> PREP /OM /FC /FT 1.exe 2.dll 3.dll
> PROFILE 1.exe
> PREP /M  1
> PLIST 1 > 1.out

Thanks for your input. It is not quite what I need, but it does help a
little.

Currently in my program S.exe I use CreateProcess() to start C.exe. I
cannot start C.exe from the command line, because it uses standard
input and output to communicate with S.exe.

Your input tells me, that in order to profile C.exe, I have to change
the call to CreateProcess() in S.exe to invoke PROFILE.EXE with C.exe
as argument. I may also have to use CreateProcess() to start PREP
(twice) and PLIST.

Remaining questions for now are:
1. Do I have to start PREP and PLIST, and how often? Before each call
to PROFILE, after each source code change, ...
2. How do I tell PROFILE to keep its fingers off the standard input
and output? The /NOLOGO switch is a start, but the few experiments I
have run seem to indicate that there is more.

Thanks in advance.

Jeroen.

Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:25:09 GMT

1. I need to profile, but I cannot run ...

2. Cannot get Profile menu item to display in Visual Studio 6

3. VC: Profile build/run on WLL???

4. Profiling a dll with prep, profile from commandline.

5. Profile output window is blank when profiling with IDE

6. : How to display mail profile settings dialog box for the selected profile

7. Profile .ini or registry profile control

8. error: dependency cannot copied to run directory

9. The program cannot running

10. Cannot run empty default project!

11. Cannot open the Properties window after running a web app project

12. Cannot see any running dialog exe