"Heap block" error
Author Message
 "Heap block" error

I am using a Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6a) system and when I try to
debug a program using Visual C++ 6.0 (Service Pack 4) I have many
messages like:

"Loaded ' C:\WINNT\system32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information
found" for many other dll's files ...

And finally the de{*filter*} stops definetly with the message:

"Heap block at a53188 modified at a52a4f past requested size of
fffff8bf"

When I compile and run the program I don't have any of these messages.
Could anyone help me?

Thanks,

Roberto

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 "Heap block" error
Unitialize variables .. your writing something to lala land
Quote:
I am using a Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6a) system and when I try to
debug a program using Visual C++ 6.0 (Service Pack 4) I have many
messages like:

"Loaded ' C:\WINNT\system32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information
found" for many other dll's files ...

And finally the de{*filter*} stops definetly with the message:

"Heap block at a53188 modified at a52a4f past requested size of
fffff8bf"

When I compile and run the program I don't have any of these messages.
Could anyone help me?

Thanks,

Roberto

.

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 "Heap block" error
Ignore the messages about DLLs loaded - they aren't
relevant.

Do not ignore the heap block modification message.
You have a memory corruption bug. The OS is
helpfully notifying you of this. The only reason nothing
bad is happening when you run the program outside
of the de{*filter*} is a) you're lucky that nothing vital
is currently getting corrupted and b) the OS only checks
for memory corruption when you run your app
under the de{*filter*}.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 "Heap block" error

As to the first message, it's just because the symbol file of the the file
ntdll.dll is not installed on your system. You can install some of the
symbol files from NT setup disk, however, many dll files have no related
symbol files. With the symbol files, you can get the method names in the
call stack window while debugging, which will help you to locate the
problem. On the other hand, without the symbol files, you only get the
addresses of the methods, but  you also can debug your application.

The symbol files is only useful for debugging a application. Therefore, you
don't have any problems while compile and run your application.

As to the second message you mentioned, you should check your memory
allocating/free routine to make sure there are no memory problems, such as
memory leak,

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Heap block" error

2. Error "free"-ing "malloc"-ed memory

3. HEAP error: Free heap block xxx mdofied at xxx

4. Heap errors when stressing Automation, _bstr_t, and watching heap blocks

5. HEAP[dllhost.exe]: HEAP: Free Heap block 1e32c28 modified at 1e32dc4 after it was freed

6. "malloc" without standard libary or heap

7. "Out of Near Heap" in summary

8. "memory clobbered before allocated block"...?

9. "duplicate insert block" message

10. UDP Win32 Socket: "recvfrom" completely blocks

11. "duplicate insert block" message

12. Compile error "Internal error during SetupPhase"