Page Fault only occurs in Debug version.
Author Message
 Page Fault only occurs in Debug version.

I'm just starting to program in C again after many years away from it.  I'm
trying to compile and run a sample program from Adaptec that access the
wnaspi32.dll.  If I build a release version the program works fine. However,
If I build a debug version I get an invalid page fault and an unhandled
exception...  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Please Leave response on message board.

John Fenton

Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Page Fault only occurs in Debug version.
not to sound too sarcastic but:

I went out to my car this morning, and it wouldn't start.  Can you tell me
why?

This is what your question amounts to.  the only info you provide is that
your using an Adaptec sample (and you don't even give the sample name) it's
kind of hard to say what the cause might be.  You would need to give more
info,
- sample name for those who might have the sample  (I don't but I'm sure
others do)
- What was the last function that was executed (what did it do) - if its a
debug build you should be able to run it in the de{*filter*} and it should stop
at where the error occurs.  you can then look at the stack and see what code
has been executed.

Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Page Fault only occurs in Debug version.
not to sound too sarcastic but:

Quote:
>I went out to my car this morning, and it wouldn't start.  Can you tell >me

why?

Yep...  not enough spark at the right time, not enough or too much gas
and/or insufficient compression (Cars are so easy :) ).

Well... ok your right, I guess I deserved the sarcasm.  I upgraded the
WNASPI32.DLL to one from Adaptec and the problem disappeared.  I'm guessing
it was a bug in the aspi driver that ships with win98.

I was looking for a somewhat generic answers. as to what kinds of things
could cause an error in debug mode but not in release mode.  That's why I
didn't give the specifics (and your right I should have).  The actual error
was occurring on a call into the WNASPI32.DLL the pointer to "this" was
being damaged somewhere in the call the Page Fault & unhanded exception
weren't showing up until the calling routine was exited.

But since upgrading the driver handled it, I'm no longer worried about it.
Now all I have to figure out is how to pass binary data to VFP from an OLE
control.

Thanks for your response

John Fenton

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. My release version gets page fault

2. My release version gets page fault

3. My release version gets page fault

4. How to debug 0177:bff9215d page fault

5. Page fault when compile using Release mode but not Debug mode

6. Debugging page fault in release build

7. Why loss of precision occurs in release version?3x

8. How to stop the debug when errors occur

9. Debug version - Release version

10. Debug version ok but release version problem

11. Debug Version and Release Version

12. Win32 debug version and Win32 release version