Remote debugging through a firewall
Author Message
 Remote debugging through a firewall

Can anyone give me the firewall ports that are used in remote debugging?  We
are facing a last-minute trip to Baltimore unless we can successfully do a
remote debug session through our firewall and that of our client.

I'm sure that Baltimore is lovely, but it's probably not at its best in
January.

I saw a thread from August on this same topic and have sent the author an
email.  He claims that Microsoft supports this and did eventually get him
going.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Le May

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:41:04 GMT
 Remote debugging through a firewall
You might want to consider using WinDbg to do the debugging as with its
remote utility you can specify the port.

http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/debugging

Or I guess you'll have to put in a support call to Microsoft or use a packet
sniffer on a remote debugging session on your own network to get the ports
(though you might want to check your licence conditions on that to make sure
you're not reverse engineering etc.)

David

Quote:
> Can anyone give me the firewall ports that are used in remote debugging?
We
> are facing a last-minute trip to Baltimore unless we can successfully do a
> remote debug session through our firewall and that of our client.

> I'm sure that Baltimore is lovely, but it's probably not at its best in
> January.

> I saw a thread from August on this same topic and have sent the author an
> email.  He claims that Microsoft supports this and did eventually get him
> going.

> Thanks for any help.

> Bill Le May

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:04:10 GMT
 Remote debugging through a firewall
David

Thanks for the ideas - however I received this solution via email from two
different people, and it solved out problem:

There are 2 ports involved, the MainPort and the PollPort.  One is used by
the de{*filter*} (the PollPort), the other by the app (the MainPort).  The
firewall must open up both ports.  The defaults are 0x801 for the MainPort
and 0x802 for the PollPort.

The actual ports are specified by registry entries, which must exist on both
machines to override the defaults, as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DevStudioRemoteMonitor\6.0\Build
System\Components\Platforms\Win32(x86)\Transports\TLN0T\MainPort
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DevStudioRemoteMonitor\6.0\Build
System\Components\Platforms\Win32(x86)\Transports\TLN0T\PollPort
If these entries are not in your registry, that implies the defaults are
being used.  Best to put the entries in for both machines, even if you are
using the defaults.

Bill

Quote:
> You might want to consider using WinDbg to do the debugging as with its
> remote utility you can specify the port.

Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:19:04 GMT
 Remote debugging through a firewall
Thanks Bill,

I'll keep those registry keys round for my own reference - you never know
when you're going to get that problem that only manifests itself on the
customer site and they can reproduce it every time but you can't ;-)

Good luck debugging,
David

Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:42:34 GMT

1. Remote debugging through a firewall

2. Remote debug

3. Remote debugging problem on managed C++ application.

4. Remote Debugging

5. remote debugging with visual studio .net

6. Rich-Error info lost on Attributed ATL project in remote debug config (again)

7. how to debug remote object?

8. Borland Remote Debugging

9. how to debug remote object hosted on IIS?

10. How can I disable remote debugging with MSVC?

11. Remote Debugging

12. remote debugging a dos program