Thread Stuff
Author Message
 Thread Stuff

I'm using Visual C++ 6.0. Anyone know if there is a tool or a good third
party app that monitors cpu time used by threads running on a system?

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:13:20 GMT
 Thread Stuff
Thanks, but Process Viewer only gives limited info:
Process name, PID, priority, num threads, type and path.

When I look up Pview in MSDN it states that I can tell how much CPU time is
allocated to a process or thread and many other thing that I don't have the
option of doing. Did I not load the full tool when I installed visual
studio??

Quote:
> PView that comes with VC will display this information.

> --
> Michael Taylor,MCP
> DCS Corp.

> > I'm using visual C++ 6.0. Anyone know if there is a tool or a good third
> > party app that monitors cpu time used by threads running on a system?

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:40:31 GMT
 Thread Stuff
PView that comes with VC will display this information.

--
Michael Taylor,MCP
DCS Corp.

Quote:
> I'm using visual C++ 6.0. Anyone know if there is a tool or a good third
> party app that monitors cpu time used by threads running on a system?

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:46:02 GMT
 Thread Stuff
Visual Quantify from Rational Software is the best performance analyzer for
multi-threaded apps that I've been able to locate.  Breaking CPU usage down
by thread is tricky but VQ does it as well as anyone.

Their address is http://www.rational.com, though I just tried it and it
seems to be down at the moment.

Good luck,

Drew Stoddard

Quote:
> I'm using visual C++ 6.0. Anyone know if there is a tool or a good third
> party app that monitors cpu time used by threads running on a system?

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:58:29 GMT
 Thread Stuff
There are 2 different apps known formally as PView.  One is for Win9X and
the other for NT (at least that is what it appears to me to be).  The NT
version shows the total processor time, kernel/user %, priority, etc. for
every thread of every process.  You can also change priority and do other
things.

PView can be found under the Bin\WinNT directory in the SDK.  My copy (from
the latest SDK) is 26KB in size if that helps.  It can also be found in the
VStudio\Common\Tools\WinNT\Tools directory for VC.

--
Michael Taylor,MCP
DCS Corp.

Quote:
> Thanks, but Process Viewer only gives limited info:
> Process name, PID, priority, num threads, type and path.

> When I look up Pview in MSDN it states that I can tell how much CPU time
is
> allocated to a process or thread and many other thing that I don't have
the
> option of doing. Did I not load the full tool when I installed visual
> studio??

> > PView that comes with VC will display this information.

> > --
> > Michael Taylor,MCP
> > DCS Corp.

> > > I'm using visual C++ 6.0. Anyone know if there is a tool or a good
third
> > > party app that monitors cpu time used by threads running on a system?

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:54:29 GMT
 Thread Stuff
Thanks all,

I'm using Windows 98 so that explains why Pview has less features. I'll have
to check on the third party stuff.

Quote:
> Visual Quantify from Rational Software is the best performance analyzer
for
> multi-threaded apps that I've been able to locate.  Breaking CPU usage
down
> by thread is tricky but VQ does it as well as anyone.

> Their address is http://www.rational.com, though I just tried it and it
> seems to be down at the moment.

> Good luck,

> Drew Stoddard

> > I'm using visual C++ 6.0. Anyone know if there is a tool or a good third
> > party app that monitors cpu time used by threads running on a system?

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:49:15 GMT

1. threads and stuff

2. Sharing Stuff Between Threads

3. Help with thread, register stuff

4. Doing stuff in DoModal() - Background thread updating UI problems

5. threads, threads, and more threads

6. ANSi Stuff (fades & stuff) in 'C'

7. using the old iostream stuff in Visual C++ .Net standard

8. META: Sig tags and stuff

9. Wierd stuff

10. programming stuff in own drive partition?

11. open default mail program and stuff mailto address?

12. passing arrays to functions & other stuff