Debug VC6 DLL/pdb with VC7
Author Message
 Debug VC6 DLL/pdb with VC7

Is it possible to step into a VC6 dll from VC7?  I have the VC6 PDB and all
source code.  Due to various restrictions, we cannot build all our DLL's
with VC7, so we currently have a single VC7 DLL that links to several VC6
dlls.  It would be really handy if we could step in and debug these DLL's
from VC7's IDE.  So far, I haven't been able to find a way to do this.  Any
suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Sat, 28 May 2005 00:16:00 GMT
 Debug VC6 DLL/pdb with VC7
Quote:
>Is it possible to step into a VC6 dll from VC7?

You should be able to do this, provided you have the matching pdb and dll
file.
You can use  dumpbin /PDBPATH  to check whether a dll and pdb file matches.

Check whether the symbols for the dll is loaded.
Bring up the module list (Debug:Windows:Modules) and it will tell you
whether the symbols are loaded for the dll or not.

Also make sure your dll is NOT  built with  /PDBTYPE:SEPT linker option.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

--------------------

Quote:

>Subject: Debug VC6 DLL/pdb with VC7
>Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:16:00 -0600

>Is it possible to step into a VC6 dll from VC7?  I have the VC6 PDB and all
>source code.  Due to various restrictions, we cannot build all our DLL's
>with VC7, so we currently have a single VC7 DLL that links to several VC6
>dlls.  It would be really handy if we could step in and debug these DLL's
>from VC7's IDE.  So far, I haven't been able to find a way to do this.  Any
>suggestions appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Chris

Sat, 28 May 2005 03:27:37 GMT
 Debug VC6 DLL/pdb with VC7
Thanks, got it working.  DUMPBIN helped verify the PDB was not in sync with
the DLL.

Chris

Quote:
> >Is it possible to step into a VC6 dll from VC7?
> You should be able to do this, provided you have the matching pdb and dll
> file.
> You can use  dumpbin /PDBPATH  to check whether a dll and pdb file
matches.

> Check whether the symbols for the dll is loaded.
> Bring up the module list (Debug:Windows:Modules) and it will tell you
> whether the symbols are loaded for the dll or not.

> Also make sure your dll is NOT  built with  /PDBTYPE:SEPT linker option.

> Hope this helps.

> Thank you,
> Bobby Mattappally
> Microsoft VC++/C# Team

rights.

> --------------------

> >Subject: Debug VC6 DLL/pdb with VC7
> >Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:16:00 -0600

> >Is it possible to step into a VC6 dll from VC7?  I have the VC6 PDB and
all
> >source code.  Due to various restrictions, we cannot build all our DLL's
> >with VC7, so we currently have a single VC7 DLL that links to several VC6
> >dlls.  It would be really handy if we could step in and debug these DLL's
> >from VC7's IDE.  So far, I haven't been able to find a way to do this.
Any
> >suggestions appreciated.

> >Thanks,

> >Chris

Sat, 28 May 2005 05:33:42 GMT

1. Debugging VC7 binary with VC6 debugger

2. possible bug in VC6, VC7, VC7.1

3. .Net VC7 project opened in VC6 can't find MSVCP70D.dll

4. Importing VC7 dll to VC6

5. VC7 calling VC6 MFC DLL

6. VC7 calling VC6 DLL

7. drwtsn32 dont find pdb files generated by VC7

8. How to debug VC6 dll from C# client ?

9. Debugging a VC++ ISAPI DLL from VC6

10. Can't debug a vc6.0 DLL when launched from vc4.0 app

11. Can't debug a vc6.0 DLL when launched from vc4.0 app

12. step into VC6 dll from VB5 IDE debug