I know there is a way.......isn't there??
Author Message
 I know there is a way.......isn't there??

To get debugging info into a release build?

Any ideas how to do this under VS5(sp3)?

We have tried defining _DEBUG and linking to the debug MFC libs as well as
turning optimisations off. but it doesn't seem to work.

We are tracking down a missing addref (we think!) and I have some poeple
working in the debug build which does not GPF....the release version does.

any suggestions on how to achieve the above (its almost become a "cause
celeb" here!)

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 I know there is a way.......isn't there??
Did you enabled the two following options in your project settings for the
release build:
- C/C++ / Category General / Debug Info: Program Database (by default its
none for release build).
- Link / Category General / Generate Debug Info checked (by default not
checked for release build).

Joel

Quote:

>To get debugging info into a release build?

>Any ideas how to do this under VS5(sp3)?

>We have tried defining _DEBUG and linking to the debug MFC libs as well as
>turning optimisations off. but it doesn't seem to work.

>We are tracking down a missing addref (we think!) and I have some poeple
>working in the debug build which does not GPF....the release version does.

>any suggestions on how to achieve the above (its almost become a "cause
>celeb" here!)

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 I know there is a way.......isn't there??
I might also add that you should _not_ specify _DEBUG, and you should
not link to the debug MFC libs. If you do that then you are no longer
producing a release executable - you're producing a partially optimized
executable loaded with debugging checks - not something you would want
to release.

If you follow Joe's directions then you will get a fully optimized release
mode executable, with exactly the same code that would be generated
without his changes, with the different that debugging information will be
included in the .pdb file to allow you to debug. You can and should ship
your final product with those settings, so that any crashes that occur
after release can be investigated. Since you don't ship the .pdb file, there
is no danger in doing this.

I wish debug info defaulted to being on in release mode.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.cavedog.com

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. NULL isn't 0/0 isn't NULL

2. gcc compiles with "storage size of 'tzp' isn't known"

3. volatile isn't necessary, but it's there

4. Ways to obtain Device Handler if I'm not an administrator

5. Compile Error: storage size of `timeToDelay' isn't known

6. I am seachcing a free pascal editor if someone known a web site just called me

7. How to know whether i am connected

8. how to know whether i am connected

9. How do I know when I am connected?

10. VS .NET Does Not Complain When Pure Virtual Method Isn't Defined

11. Inherit Switch Class example isn't working

12. why isn't stdio full-duplex?