Memory Details don't display in PVIEW or SPY++
Author Message
 Memory Details don't display in PVIEW or SPY++

I am trying to use PVIEW and/or SPY++ to examine memory
usage for processes.  I am running Windows 2000 with
Service Pack 2 adn Visual Studio 6.0 with Service Pack 5.

The sparse documentation for PVIEW suggests that this
information is available by clicking the "Memory Details"
button in the Dialog Box, but this button is
ALWAYS 'Greyed-Out".

The slightly larger, but equally unhelpful, documentation
for SPY++ suggests that there should be a 'Memory' tab in
the Process view window (if your are running Windows NT,
but not Windows 98).  I have tried this on both my Windows
2000 and a Windows NT 4.0 machine, but the tabs (other
than the 'General' tab) are NEVER displayed.

Has anyone successfully used these functions in these
tools with these OSes? . . . and if so, How did you get
the referenced functionality to be active and available?

I, ultimately, need to create a memory (Stack and Heap)
usage profile for each of the routines in a large
program.  Is there a better tool or method for
accomplishing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Kent

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:22:47 GMT
 Memory Details don't display in PVIEW or SPY++
I can recommend the (free) sysinternals ps tools at:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml
as a very good alternative to the available MS tools.

Paul

Quote:
> I am trying to use PVIEW and/or SPY++ to examine memory
> usage for processes.  I am running Windows 2000 with
> Service Pack 2 adn Visual Studio 6.0 with Service Pack 5.

> The sparse documentation for PVIEW suggests that this
> information is available by clicking the "Memory Details"
> button in the Dialog Box, but this button is
> ALWAYS 'Greyed-Out".

> The slightly larger, but equally unhelpful, documentation
> for SPY++ suggests that there should be a 'Memory' tab in
> the Process view window (if your are running Windows NT,
> but not Windows 98).  I have tried this on both my Windows
> 2000 and a Windows NT 4.0 machine, but the tabs (other
> than the 'General' tab) are NEVER displayed.

> Has anyone successfully used these functions in these
> tools with these OSes? . . . and if so, How did you get
> the referenced functionality to be active and available?

> I, ultimately, need to create a memory (Stack and Heap)
> usage profile for each of the routines in a large
> program.  Is there a better tool or method for
> accomplishing this?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Bob Kent

Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:24:43 GMT

1. ACCELERATOR KEYS DON'T WORK WITH OnKeyDown BUT WORK WHEN SPY++ IS RUNNING

2. Dialogs don't display on Win2K/98

3. tree control don't display the 256 color bitmaps

4. Some fonts don't display in my CRichEditCtrl

5. Don't display save dialog

6. Newlines in CEdits don't display

7. Vertical Fonts Don't Display!

8. 'spying' on port calls

9. Spy++ causes Visual studio to hang - easy test...

10. Spy++ is Limited To VC++ Application Programs Why ?

11. Spy++ like functionality

12. spy++