Dr. Watson log has incorrect information. Help please.
Author Message
 Dr. Watson log has incorrect information. Help please.

Hi,

I have some questions on Dr. Watson errors and MFC symbol files.

1.  When an access violation error occurred in one of the MFC functions, Dr.
Watson specifies in stack as Ordinal1585 function failed. Basically Dr.
Watson has failed getting MFC symbol files.

2. There is no MFC42.dbg file. Does Dr.Watson reads pdb file. If Dr.Watson
reads pdb file, where do I need to keep that pdb file? I copied mfc42.pdb
file in the following directories.
a) I have copied to c:\WinNT\symbols\DLL directory.
b) when I installed Visual C++,  pdb file is copied in c:\WinNT\system32
directory.
c) I have copied to <executable directory>

Still Dr. Watson did not read translated ordinals to actual function names.

3. We are compiling application with the following settings.

C/C++  / General / Debug Info: Program database Edit and Continue
Link / Customize / Uncheck check box for Use Program Database in release
mode.

After compiling we have added the following line in Post Build Setup
rebase -b 0x400000 -x Symbols -a MyApp.exe

Then symbol file is extracted to Symbols directory with the name MyApp.dbg
We are copying this symbol file to client machine c:\WinNT\symbols\exe
directory.

However when Dr. Watson error is displayed Dr.Watson log file has invalid
stack.  It shows function1() called function(), though function1() never
call function2(). Am I doing anything wrong while creating symbol files? Is
there any better way of creating symbol files.

4. Can I redistribute mfc42.pdb file with my application?

5. Some times Dr. Watson is not displaying the error where exactly access
violation occurred. It is displaying in some other place. Can I count on Dr.
Watson on access violation errors?  It happens when access violation is
occurred in CString member functions.

6. Can  you suggest me better way of identifying General Protection
Failures/Access Violations/Application crash information at the client
place.(basically when I am not present at client place).

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Watson log has incorrect information. Help please.

The DrWatson log is not the most useful thing.
DrWatson also generates a..dmp file which you can load in the de{*filter*} and
do real debugging with.  This will give you much better results.

-Andre

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have some questions on Dr. Watson errors and MFC symbol files.

> 1.  When an access violation error occurred in one of the MFC functions,
Dr.
> Watson specifies in stack as Ordinal1585 function failed. Basically Dr.
> Watson has failed getting MFC symbol files.

> 2. There is no MFC42.dbg file. Does Dr.Watson reads pdb file. If Dr.Watson
> reads pdb file, where do I need to keep that pdb file? I copied mfc42.pdb
> file in the following directories.
> a) I have copied to c:\WinNT\symbols\DLL directory.
> b) when I installed visual c++,  pdb file is copied in c:\WinNT\system32
> directory.
> c) I have copied to <executable directory>

> Still Dr. Watson did not read translated ordinals to actual function
names.

> 3. We are compiling application with the following settings.

> C/C++  / General / Debug Info: Program database Edit and Continue
> Link / Customize / Uncheck check box for Use Program Database in release
> mode.

> After compiling we have added the following line in Post Build Setup
> rebase -b 0x400000 -x Symbols -a MyApp.exe

> Then symbol file is extracted to Symbols directory with the name MyApp.dbg
> We are copying this symbol file to client machine c:\WinNT\symbols\exe
> directory.

> However when Dr. Watson error is displayed Dr.Watson log file has invalid
> stack.  It shows function1() called function(), though function1() never
> call function2(). Am I doing anything wrong while creating symbol files?
Is
> there any better way of creating symbol files.

> 4. Can I redistribute mfc42.pdb file with my application?

> 5. Some times Dr. Watson is not displaying the error where exactly access
> violation occurred. It is displaying in some other place. Can I count on
Dr.
> Watson on access violation errors?  It happens when access violation is
> occurred in CString member functions.

> 6. Can  you suggest me better way of identifying General Protection
> Failures/Access Violations/Application crash information at the client
> place.(basically when I am not present at client place).

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Watson log has incorrect information. Help please.
DrWatson .dmp file size is 10MB. I can not ask my client to send the .dmp
file over mail. Do you know why mfc symbol files are not available?

Quote:
> The DrWatson log is not the most useful thing.
> DrWatson also generates a..dmp file which you can load in the de{*filter*} and
> do real debugging with.  This will give you much better results.

> -Andre

> > Hi,

> > I have some questions on Dr. Watson errors and MFC symbol files.

> > 1.  When an access violation error occurred in one of the MFC functions,
> Dr.
> > Watson specifies in stack as Ordinal1585 function failed. Basically Dr.
> > Watson has failed getting MFC symbol files.

> > 2. There is no MFC42.dbg file. Does Dr.Watson reads pdb file. If
Dr.Watson
> > reads pdb file, where do I need to keep that pdb file? I copied
mfc42.pdb
> > file in the following directories.
> > a) I have copied to c:\WinNT\symbols\DLL directory.
> > b) when I installed visual c++,  pdb file is copied in c:\WinNT\system32
> > directory.
> > c) I have copied to <executable directory>

> > Still Dr. Watson did not read translated ordinals to actual function
> names.

> > 3. We are compiling application with the following settings.

> > C/C++  / General / Debug Info: Program database Edit and Continue
> > Link / Customize / Uncheck check box for Use Program Database in release
> > mode.

> > After compiling we have added the following line in Post Build Setup
> > rebase -b 0x400000 -x Symbols -a MyApp.exe

> > Then symbol file is extracted to Symbols directory with the name
MyApp.dbg
> > We are copying this symbol file to client machine c:\WinNT\symbols\exe
> > directory.

> > However when Dr. Watson error is displayed Dr.Watson log file has
invalid
> > stack.  It shows function1() called function(), though function1() never
> > call function2(). Am I doing anything wrong while creating symbol files?
> Is
> > there any better way of creating symbol files.

> > 4. Can I redistribute mfc42.pdb file with my application?

> > 5. Some times Dr. Watson is not displaying the error where exactly
access
> > violation occurred. It is displaying in some other place. Can I count on
> Dr.
> > Watson on access violation errors?  It happens when access violation is
> > occurred in CString member functions.

> > 6. Can  you suggest me better way of identifying General Protection
> > Failures/Access Violations/Application crash information at the client
> > place.(basically when I am not present at client place).

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Watson log has incorrect information. Help please.
Most likely because that user does not have the symbol files on his machine
when DrWatson is running.
No one install symbols unless they are a developer.

I would tell him to zip the dump file - it'll probably compress to only a
few meg.

-Andre

Quote:
> [...]

files?
> > Is
> > > there any better way of creating symbol files.

> > > 4. Can I redistribute mfc42.pdb file with my application?

> > > 5. Some times Dr. Watson is not displaying the error where exactly
> access
> > > violation occurred. It is displaying in some other place. Can I count
on
> > Dr.
> > > Watson on access violation errors?  It happens when access violation
is
> > > occurred in CString member functions.

> > > 6. Can  you suggest me better way of identifying General Protection
> > > Failures/Access Violations/Application crash information at the client
> > > place.(basically when I am not present at client place).

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Watson log has incorrect information. Help please.

Is Microsoft support aware of any issues, bugs with Dr. Watson log file?

Quote:
> Most likely because that user does not have the symbol files on his
machine
> when DrWatson is running.
> No one install symbols unless they are a developer.

> I would tell him to zip the dump file - it'll probably compress to only a
> few meg.

> -Andre

> > DrWatson .dmp file size is 10MB. I can not ask my client to send the
.dmp
> > file over mail. Do you know why mfc symbol files are not available?

> > > The DrWatson log is not the most useful thing.
> > > DrWatson also generates a..dmp file which you can load in the de{*filter*}
> and
> > > do real debugging with.  This will give you much better results.

> > > -Andre

message

> functions,
> > > Dr.
> Dr.

> > Dr.Watson
> > mfc42.pdb
> c:\WinNT\system32

> > > names.

> release

> > MyApp.dbg

c:\WinNT\symbols\exe

> > invalid
> never
> files?
> > > Is

> > access
> on
> > > Dr.
> is

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Watson log has incorrect information. Help please.
I am not aware of any "bugs" in the log file code.

But you can only get "so much" debug information in a log file without
symbol files.  That's why the dump file is better if you want accurate stack
traces.

-Andre

Quote:
> Is Microsoft support aware of any issues, bugs with Dr. Watson log file?

> > Most likely because that user does not have the symbol files on his
> machine
> > when DrWatson is running.
> > No one install symbols unless they are a developer.

> > I would tell him to zip the dump file - it'll probably compress to only
> > few meg.

> > -Andre

> > > DrWatson .dmp file size is 10MB. I can not ask my client to send the
> .dmp
> > > file over mail. Do you know why mfc symbol files are not available?

> > and

> message

> > functions,
Basically
> > Dr.

> > > Dr.Watson
> > > mfc42.pdb
> > c:\WinNT\system32

> > release

Setup

> > > MyApp.dbg
> c:\WinNT\symbols\exe

> > > invalid
> > never
> > files?

> > > access
> count
> > on
> > is

Protection
> client

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dr Watson Log file has incorrect information ??

2. Need Help Using DBG files in NT4 Server for Dr. Watson logs

3. Dr. Watson doesn′t collect any information

4. dr watson logs

5. Dr. Watson Debugging Help Needed for VB

6. Dr Watson does not log

7. Debugging Dr Watson log , Crashfinder and Imagehlp.dll

8. Analyzing dr. watson log file

9. How To Export Symbol Info To Dr.Watson's Log file

10. Dr Watson Type Logs

11. Dr Watson Debug Information

12. Newbie Q-howto find C source line from Dr. Watson AV address