Code always out-of-date.
Author Message
 Code always out-of-date.

Hi.

I've ran accross this problem before, but can not remember what the fix is
for it.  Maybe someone here remembers.

I have a faily large project (40+ sub-projects), and no matter how many
times I build the project using F7, clean, then rebuild, rebuild all, or any
other method to get the project supposedly up-to-date, it ALWAYS says about
20 of those sub-projects are out-of-date whenever I press F5.  It then goes
through those projects bringing them up-to-date by building the resources
and linking, then starts debugging.  If I stop debugging and immediately
press F5 again, exactly the same thing happens again.

This is really annoying, as it it very time consuming.  Every time I make a
simple change in one sub-project, I have to sit through this time-consuming
process just to test the new changes.

Any ideas?
Steven

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 02:16:49 GMT
 Code always out-of-date.

Quote:

> Hi.

> I've ran accross this problem before, but can not remember what the fix is
> for it.  Maybe someone here remembers.

> I have a faily large project (40+ sub-projects), and no matter how many
> times I build the project using F7, clean, then rebuild, rebuild all, or any
> other method to get the project supposedly up-to-date, it ALWAYS says about
> 20 of those sub-projects are out-of-date whenever I press F5.  It then goes
> through those projects bringing them up-to-date by building the resources
> and linking, then starts debugging.  If I stop debugging and immediately
> press F5 again, exactly the same thing happens again.

> This is really annoying, as it it very time consuming.  Every time I make a
> simple change in one sub-project, I have to sit through this time-consuming
> process just to test the new changes.

> Any ideas?
> Steven

This can happen is the date on a source file is some time in the future.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:19:23 GMT
 Code always out-of-date.

Quote:

>I have a faily large project (40+ sub-projects), and no matter how many
>times I build the project using F7, clean, then rebuild, rebuild all, or any
>other method to get the project supposedly up-to-date, it ALWAYS says about
>20 of those sub-projects are out-of-date whenever I press F5.  It then goes
>through those projects bringing them up-to-date by building the resources
>and linking, then starts debugging.  If I stop debugging and immediately
>press F5 again, exactly the same thing happens again.

Are you using VC6 or VC.Net?

If you are using VC.NET, check out KB article Q326946 - "BUG: Issues That
Cause a Solution to Rebuild Although Dependencies Are Unchanged":

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326946

...if this is your problem the bug can be worked around by adding a macro to
the project settings for the resource file.

Jon

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:26:54 GMT
 Code always out-of-date.
Steven,

A colleague of mine had this problem as well, and we never got it sorted (we
didn't try that hard, if it's any comfort).

Just re-getting the files from sourcesafe wouldn't cut it, IIRC. Could be
that sourcesafe doesn't replace files it thinks is up-to-date, though.

Please post back if you find a reliable solution...

--
Kim Gr?sman, Visual C++ MVP
http://www.winwonk.com

Quote:
> Hi.

> I've ran accross this problem before, but can not remember what the fix is
> for it.  Maybe someone here remembers.

> I have a faily large project (40+ sub-projects), and no matter how many
> times I build the project using F7, clean, then rebuild, rebuild all, or
any
> other method to get the project supposedly up-to-date, it ALWAYS says
about
> 20 of those sub-projects are out-of-date whenever I press F5.  It then
goes
> through those projects bringing them up-to-date by building the resources
> and linking, then starts debugging.  If I stop debugging and immediately
> press F5 again, exactly the same thing happens again.

> This is really annoying, as it it very time consuming.  Every time I make
> simple change in one sub-project, I have to sit through this
time-consuming
> process just to test the new changes.

> Any ideas?
> Steven

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:27:22 GMT

1. VC7 project always out-of-date, always rebuilds all

2. Colour print outs of source code ?

3. Files always out of date?

4. vs.NET C++ Project Configurations Always Out of Date

5. Browse info always out of date

6. VC++.NET solution always out of date

7. Checksums of a.outs

8. event_source(native) not injecting event initialization code into constructor always

9. LogonUser always returns error code 126

10. help, simple codes always takes 15 milliseconds to finish

11. does not always inject code into constructor

12. HELP! conditional code always executes