Variable data not showing in watch windows
Author Message
 Variable data not showing in watch windows

I've got a problem when trying to debug code in that I can't
see what is in a lot of variables.

For example, I just made a managed C++ application and modified
the default template code to the following:

// This is the entry point for this application
int _tmain(void)
{
     char MyBuffer[128]="Hello World";
     int len=strlen(MyBuffer);
     strcpy(MyBuffer, "Hello to you too");
     len=strlen(MyBuffer);

     return 0;

Quote:
}

Now if I single run this and stop at any point, but lets
take the return for examples sake here is my dilemma.

In the locals window I have the following:

   Name              Value               Type
   len               16                  __int32
+                   {length=128}        char[]

As you can see, 'MyBuffer' isn't displayed, and what is in it
is useless from a debugging point of view.  If I hover the mouse
over the variable it shows the same value.  Expanding the + shows
the contents byte by byte.

This is just a simple example, but things like link lists don't
know about their location and don't expand so are impossible to
peruse.

I've hunted through the IDE settings, installed on two computers,
one with XP and the other with Win2K.  I've reinstalled etc, but
to no avail.  Another friend who also has this has no issues, and
the only difference that might be of consequence is that I also
have Watcom C++ installed on both machines I've tried on.

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 03:32:16 GMT
 Variable data not showing in watch windows
Release build or debug?

The de{*filter*} has a much harder time with release builds, because the
code is optimized.

> I've got a problem when trying to debug code in that I can't
> see what is in a lot of variables.

> For example, I just made a managed C++ application and modified
> the default template code to the following:

> // This is the entry point for this application
> int _tmain(void)
> {
>      char MyBuffer[128]="Hello World";
>      int len=strlen(MyBuffer);
>      strcpy(MyBuffer, "Hello to you too");
>      len=strlen(MyBuffer);

>      return 0;
> }

> Now if I single run this and stop at any point, but lets
> take the return for examples sake here is my dilemma.

> In the locals window I have the following:

>    Name              Value               Type
>    len               16                  __int32
> +                   {length=128}        char[]

> As you can see, 'MyBuffer' isn't displayed, and what is in it
> is useless from a debugging point of view.  If I hover the mouse
> over the variable it shows the same value.  Expanding the + shows
> the contents byte by byte.

> This is just a simple example, but things like link lists don't
> know about their location and don't expand so are impossible to
> peruse.

> I've hunted through the IDE settings, installed on two computers,
> one with XP and the other with Win2K.  I've reinstalled etc, but
> to no avail.  Another friend who also has this has no issues, and
> the only difference that might be of consequence is that I also
> have Watcom C++ installed on both machines I've tried on.

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 09:29:13 GMT
 Variable data not showing in watch windows
Debug.  After sifting through the forums, a comment
about managed apps looked to be similar, so I rebuilt
an empty non-managed project and the vars are now
there.

So, is this a bug, by design, or is there a way to
get around the problem?  And if it's a bug, when
would a fix be available?

Thanks, Josh

Quote:

> Release build or debug?

> The de{*filter*} has a much harder time with release builds, because the
> code is optimized.

> --

>>I've got a problem when trying to debug code in that I can't
>>see what is in a lot of variables.

>>For example, I just made a managed C++ application and modified
>>the default template code to the following:

>>// This is the entry point for this application
>>int _tmain(void)
>>{
>>     char MyBuffer[128]="Hello World";
>>     int len=strlen(MyBuffer);
>>     strcpy(MyBuffer, "Hello to you too");
>>     len=strlen(MyBuffer);

>>     return 0;
>>}

>>Now if I single run this and stop at any point, but lets
>>take the return for examples sake here is my dilemma.

>>In the locals window I have the following:

>>   Name              Value               Type
>>   len               16                  __int32
>>+                   {length=128}        char[]

>>As you can see, 'MyBuffer' isn't displayed, and what is in it
>>is useless from a debugging point of view.  If I hover the mouse
>>over the variable it shows the same value.  Expanding the + shows
>>the contents byte by byte.

>>This is just a simple example, but things like link lists don't
>>know about their location and don't expand so are impossible to
>>peruse.

>>I've hunted through the IDE settings, installed on two computers,
>>one with XP and the other with Win2K.  I've reinstalled etc, but
>>to no avail.  Another friend who also has this has no issues, and
>>the only difference that might be of consequence is that I also
>>have Watcom C++ installed on both machines I've tried on.

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:24:39 GMT
 Variable data not showing in watch windows
This kind of thing (displaying native types in managed C++) has been greatly
improved in the forthcoming VS 2003 (aka Everett).

Andy

> Debug.  After sifting through the forums, a comment
> about managed apps looked to be similar, so I rebuilt
> an empty non-managed project and the vars are now
> there.

> So, is this a bug, by design, or is there a way to
> get around the problem?  And if it's a bug, when
> would a fix be available?

> Thanks, Josh

> > Release build or debug?

> > The de{*filter*} has a much harder time with release builds, because the
> > code is optimized.

> > --
rights.

> >>I've got a problem when trying to debug code in that I can't
> >>see what is in a lot of variables.

> >>For example, I just made a managed C++ application and modified
> >>the default template code to the following:

> >>// This is the entry point for this application
> >>int _tmain(void)
> >>{
> >>     char MyBuffer[128]="Hello World";
> >>     int len=strlen(MyBuffer);
> >>     strcpy(MyBuffer, "Hello to you too");
> >>     len=strlen(MyBuffer);

> >>     return 0;
> >>}

> >>Now if I single run this and stop at any point, but lets
> >>take the return for examples sake here is my dilemma.

> >>In the locals window I have the following:

> >>   Name              Value               Type
> >>   len               16                  __int32
> >>+                   {length=128}        char[]

> >>As you can see, 'MyBuffer' isn't displayed, and what is in it
> >>is useless from a debugging point of view.  If I hover the mouse
> >>over the variable it shows the same value.  Expanding the + shows
> >>the contents byte by byte.

> >>This is just a simple example, but things like link lists don't
> >>know about their location and don't expand so are impossible to
> >>peruse.

> >>I've hunted through the IDE settings, installed on two computers,
> >>one with XP and the other with Win2K.  I've reinstalled etc, but
> >>to no avail.  Another friend who also has this has no issues, and
> >>the only difference that might be of consequence is that I also
> >>have Watcom C++ installed on both machines I've tried on.

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:20:37 GMT
 Variable data not showing in watch windows
Will this be a free update to developers who have the problem
or will it be fixed in the current VS.NET?

Thanks, Josh

Quote:

> This kind of thing (displaying native types in managed C++) has been greatly
> improved in the forthcoming VS 2003 (aka Everett).

> Andy
> --
>  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

> > Debug.  After sifting through the forums, a comment
> > about managed apps looked to be similar, so I rebuilt
> > an empty non-managed project and the vars are now
> > there.

> > So, is this a bug, by design, or is there a way to
> > get around the problem?  And if it's a bug, when
> > would a fix be available?

> > Thanks, Josh

> > > Release build or debug?

> > > The de{*filter*} has a much harder time with release builds, because the
> > > code is optimized.

> > > --
> rights.

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:56:37 GMT
 Variable data not showing in watch windows
There is some info on how to get VS 2003 at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

I doubt this will be addressed in the 7.0 release.

Andy

> Will this be a free update to developers who have the problem
> or will it be fixed in the current VS.NET?

> Thanks, Josh

> > This kind of thing (displaying native types in managed C++) has been
greatly
> > improved in the forthcoming VS 2003 (aka Everett).

> > Andy
> > --
> >  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

> > > Debug.  After sifting through the forums, a comment
> > > about managed apps looked to be similar, so I rebuilt
> > > an empty non-managed project and the vars are now
> > > there.

> > > So, is this a bug, by design, or is there a way to
> > > get around the problem?  And if it's a bug, when
> > > would a fix be available?

> > > Thanks, Josh

> > rights.

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:33:35 GMT

1. wrong value for a variable showing in the watch window

2. Variables in Variables / Watch window

3. COM properties don't show in VB watch window

4. Help: damn vectors won't show up in watch window

5. Watch does not display derived class variables

6. can not watch local Variables in debuger

7. Problems with Variables and Watch Windows

8. How to see a static variable in a watch window

9. Q: variable / watch window

10. How to add variable to watch window

11. use "Watch Window" to validate variables

12. view arrays in watch/variable window