Trying to set .SQC files as a dependencies of .C files in Developer Studio
Author Message
 Trying to set .SQC files as a dependencies of .C files in Developer Studio

I'm using Visual C++ 5.0 and Developer Studio 97 under NT 4.0.
I've got some source files with embedded SQL in them.  These
files have an extension of .SQC.  I set up a custom build in
the GUI to run the preprocessor that converts the .SQC files
into .C files.  However, I can't find any way in the GUI to
set up dependencies for the .C files.  I want to tell it that
FOO.C is dependent on FOO.SQC, for example.  This way, FOO.C
will only be created if FOO.SQC has a later timestamp.  I can
do this with an external makefile, running nmake from the
command line, and manually entering my own dependency rules
in the makefile, but I want to do it from the GUI.  The only thing
I found through the GUI is that you CAN set up dependencies
for a CUSTOM build.  This means that if my .SQC file was
dependent on some other file, I could specify it in my custom
build.  But this is not my situation.

Can I do what I am wanting from the GUI?

Brad Radaker
Computer Consultant

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Trying to set .SQC files as a dependencies of .C files in Developer Studio

I'm just starting a project where I have to do the same thing! Did
anyone ever get it figured out how to get the whole build, including
pre-processing, done in VC++ 5.0 using the GUI? Any tips/help would be
appreciated, we're on a very tight deadline and I have to start
tackling this tomorrow.

Thanks, Bill Hines

Quote:

>I'm using Visual C++ 5.0 and Developer Studio 97 under NT 4.0.
>I've got some source files with embedded SQL in them.  These
>files have an extension of .SQC.  I set up a custom build in
>the GUI to run the preprocessor that converts the .SQC files
>into .C files.  However, I can't find any way in the GUI to
>set up dependencies for the .C files.  I want to tell it that
>FOO.C is dependent on FOO.SQC, for example.  This way, FOO.C
>will only be created if FOO.SQC has a later timestamp.  I can
>do this with an external makefile, running nmake from the
>command line, and manually entering my own dependency rules
>in the makefile, but I want to do it from the GUI.  The only thing
>I found through the GUI is that you CAN set up dependencies
>for a CUSTOM build.  This means that if my .SQC file was
>dependent on some other file, I could specify it in my custom
>build.  But this is not my situation.

>Can I do what I am wanting from the GUI?

>Brad Radaker
>Computer Consultant

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Trying to set .SQC files as a dependencies of .C files in Developer Studio

Bill,

the custom build step has a place to specify input and output files
for the step; the dependencies are inferred from this.

Cheers,
Felix.

--
If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.
I have killfiled hotmail.com and yahoo.com. If you are legit,

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Trying to set .SQC files as a dependencies of .C files in Developer Studio

Thanks for the reply. I got it working so that the custom build step
for my .sqx file calls a batch file which has the commands:

db2 connect to mydb
db2 prep %1.sqx bindfile
db2 bind %1.bnd
db2 connect reset
exit

This is from memory, but you get the idea. There are a few problems
I'd like to solve to make this usable. Is this the right approach?
When it runs from inside VC++ 5.0, I can see the DOS box pop up, but
then in the VC window it already says 0 errors 0 warnings before the
DOS box is even closed. Every so often the dos box stays there and
hangs, causing me to have to restart the system. I'd like to fix that
problem and get the results reported back to VC - it says 0 errors
even when the prep command finds errors.

Thanks for any help... Bill

Quote:
>Bill,

>the custom build step has a place to specify input and output files
>for the step; the dependencies are inferred from this.

>Cheers,
>Felix.

>--
>If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.
>I have killfiled hotmail.com and yahoo.com. If you are legit,
>come forth and be recognized -- with a *real* email address.

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

2. Ms Studio 6 - VC++ Dependency Files

3. Hooking my help file into Developer Studio

4. resx files needed for cs - files ??

5. CS files display in VS6 like CPP files ?

6. 2nd try: need a C library file for reading Windows-style .INI files

7. 2nd try at copying a file: copyfile() returns success but creates empty destination file

8. 2nd try at copying a file: copyfile() returns success but creates empty destination file

9. Format of dsp files (Visual Studio project files)

10. including files in Visual Studio Project files

11. Include code in other Cs files