Remote debuggers
Author Message
 Remote debuggers

Hi,
I want to port or re-implement MSVCMON on my target PC, which runs my
own RTOS.
The intention is to make my-msvcmon talk to Visual Studio on the host
side, for debugging purposes.

The approach that am thinking of is re-implement all the DLLs that
MSVCMON is currently using and manage to use the same executable without
any changes. Again, the source code of MSVCMON is not available, hence
no question of recompilation of this.
To do this, I need more internal details on the implementation of
MSVCMON, and the whole remote debugging capabilities of microsoft's
de{*filter*}.
I COULD NOT get information from MSDN or from the web.

Does anyone have information on these. Request your immediate response.

Thanks
Srik

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:16:00 GMT
 Remote debuggers
The remote API is not documented, nor will it be.

If you switch to VC7 you can write your own de{*filter*}, and host it in the VS
UI. These APIs are detailed as a part of the VSIP program.

Someone has had success by implementing enough of the Win32 API to load
msvcmon (and its support DLLs). This is not a trivial exercise.

Quote:
> Hi,
> I want to port or re-implement MSVCMON on my target PC, which runs my
> own RTOS.
> The intention is to make my-msvcmon talk to Visual Studio on the host
> side, for debugging purposes.

> The approach that am thinking of is re-implement all the DLLs that
> MSVCMON is currently using and manage to use the same executable without
> any changes. Again, the source code of MSVCMON is not available, hence
> no question of recompilation of this.
> To do this, I need more internal details on the implementation of
> MSVCMON, and the whole remote debugging capabilities of microsoft's
> de{*filter*}.
> I COULD NOT get information from MSDN or from the web.

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:58:08 GMT

1. how to set up remote debugger?

2. remote debugger doesn't work under win2k (VC6)

3. how to set up remote debugger?

4. Designing remote debuggers

5. attach remote debugger to a service ??

6. Remote Debugger: DM.dll failed

7. Remote debugger crash when DirectDraw debug=3

8. Remote debugger crashes when loading a DLL

9. Remote Debugger Setup Problem

10. Remote Debugger in VC5

11. starting remote debugger....

12. remote debugger + seeing source files