Setting memory breakpoints
Author Message
 Setting memory breakpoints

I am trying to get VC 4.2 to watch a particular section of memory for me
and break when ANY part of this memory has been affected.  I don't seem
to be doing this properly.  In the Breakpoint dialog box, I choose the
Data tab and enter the virtual address of the memory location(s) I want
monitored.  VC 4.2 never breaks.

Any hints?

- Steve -

Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting memory breakpoints

Quote:

>I am trying to get VC 4.2 to watch a particular section of memory for me
>and break when ANY part of this memory has been affected.  I don't seem
>to be doing this properly.  In the Breakpoint dialog box, I choose the
>Data tab and enter the virtual address of the memory location(s) I want
>monitored.  VC 4.2 never breaks.

>Any hints?

>- Steve -

My understanding of this is that you need to specify a breakpoint AT WHICH
you can check to see if any variable or memory value has changed.  This is
not the same as what you want, since it won't break if you address gets
changed anywhere else, but only at your specified breakpoint.  I wanted to
do the same in the past, and just ended up manually stepping with an open
Watch window until the value changed.

What you can do is set a couple of breakpoint at various points in your
program, each watching the same variable.  This way you can gradually zoom
in on the point where it gets changed...

Note that this kind of breakpoint significantly slows down your program,
especially if it's inside a loop.

This is kinda annoying if you want to track down a hard-to-find bug in a
large program...

Steven Schulze
Concord,  CA

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to set a memory breakpoint

2. Setting a breakpoint on a memory location

3. How to set a breakpoint on memory location?

4. Setting Breakpoint on memory access

5. Can't Set breakpoint in C++ DLL

6. Setting a breakpoint in a DLL loaded with LoadLibrary

7. Hotw-To set Conditional Breakpoints with function expressions

8. How to set breakpoint on thread start/end

9. how to set data breakpoint?

10. Setting breakpoint when register equals certain value

11. Need help setting DLL breakpoints

12. Can't set breakpoint in DLL