Microsoft Visual Studio.NET V.S. Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Author Message
 Microsoft Visual Studio.NET V.S. Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

I'm new to c,c++,and C# so please forgive the ignorance. I have two
compilers available
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 and Microsoft Visual Studio.NET I want to
transition from the Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 to Microsoft Visual Studio.NET
due to the apparent advancements between the two compilers, but in class we
have only learned to create .h and .cpp files that when tested under the
Microsoft Visual Studio.NET it only shows a blank white screen shoot across
what I believe is the DOS command screen in the Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
compiler.  This makes it impossible to do any encoding or debugging.  I'm
assuming since Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is a C compiler I should be able
to get around this issue with configuring my compiler.  Could someone help
me figure this one out?  I also want was wondering if there is a newsgroup
available for beginner C, C++, and C# programmers?

Sun, 26 Jun 2005 06:11:46 GMT
 Microsoft Visual Studio.NET V.S. Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Quote:

>due to the apparent advancements between the two compilers, but in class we
>have only learned to create .h and .cpp files that when tested under the
>Microsoft Visual Studio.NET it only shows a blank white screen shoot across
>what I believe is the DOS command screen in the Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
>compiler.

You probably want to make a console project. Goto
File->New->Project->Visual C++->Win32->Win32 Console Project.

Quote:
>This makes it impossible to do any encoding or debugging.  I'm
>assuming since Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is a C compiler

If you want to use the C compiler you have to set the compiler switch
/TC. /TP is the default and assumes your code is  c++.

Quote:
>I should be able
>to get around this issue with configuring my compiler.  Could someone help
>me figure this one out?  I also want was wondering if there is a newsgroup
>available for beginner C, C++, and C# programmers?

Try :
comp.lang.c++.moderated
microsoft.public.vc.language

--
sashan
-------------------------------

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:56:21 GMT
 Microsoft Visual Studio.NET V.S. Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

writes:

Quote:
>>This makes it impossible to do any encoding or debugging.  I'm
>>assuming since Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is a C compiler

>If you want to use the C compiler you have to set the compiler switch
>/TC. /TP is the default and assumes your code is  c++.

  MSC6++ is smart enough to know that when you give it .C files to compile that
it with the C compiler alone.  You don't have to use the switch unless you want
.cpp files done oddly.  Has .NET changed this?

What is the question?       Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing.    Alan Watts

On Display in the UK     http://www.web-gallery.co.uk

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:59:19 GMT

1. Distributed Applications with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 by Microsoft Press

2. Good book on Microsoft Visual Studio Visual C++, C#, VB

3. Visual C++ 6.0 vs. Visual C++ .NET

4. porting visual c++ 6.0 addins to visual studio.net

5. e: *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

6. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

7. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

8. Visual C# .NET Standard vs. Visual Studio.NET

9. Looking for Microsoft Visual c++ 4.0 or a earlier Microsoft c/c++ compiler

10. Problem with Visual Studio 6.0 (Visual C++ 6.0) !!!!

11. Visual Studio.NET vs. Visual C#.NET

12. Conflict with Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 and Frontpage 98