VS.Net and NoStepInto
Author Message
 VS.Net and NoStepInto

Hi,

Ok, so I finally figured out why the NoStepInto feature in the autoexp.dat
file stopped working in VS.Net. This is the feature that allows you to
specify which functions to automatically step over as you single-step.

Well, seems this feature was moved from the autoexp.dat file to the
registry.  The new format in the registry can be added with a .reg file with
the following contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.0\NativeDE\StepOver]
"10"="MyAnnoyingFunction=NoStepInto"
"15"="MyOtherAnnoyingFunction=NoStepInto"
"20"=".*CString.*=NoStepInto"

The problem is that I can't figure out the syntax for entering specific
class functions.  Used to be in autoexp.dat it was:

CMyClass::MyFunction=NoStepInto

But this does not work in the registry, so...

"25"="CMyClass::MyFuntion=NoStepInto", and
"30"="CMyClass::operator()=NoStepInto"

...does not work.  Supposedly the format "uses same regexp syntax as Find".
Does anyone have a clue what that means?  And what is the correct syntax to
use in my examples above?

Thanks in advance!
Steven

Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:39:14 GMT
 VS.Net and NoStepInto
Steven,

because character ':' is used in regular expression notation being used in
VS.Net you should use escape symbols to find such a character:
"10"=".*CString.*=NoStepInto"
"15"="ATL\\:\\:.*=NoStepInto"

So in your case it must be
"25"="CMyClass\\:\\:MyFuntion=NoStepInto"

--
Dmitri Kotchetov, Visual C++ Team

--------------------

| >Subject: VS.Net and NoStepInto
| >Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:39:14 -0800
| >
| >Hi,
| >
| >Ok, so I finally figured out why the NoStepInto feature in the
autoexp.dat
| >file stopped working in VS.Net. This is the feature that allows you to
| >specify which functions to automatically step over as you single-step.
| >
| >Well, seems this feature was moved from the autoexp.dat file to the
| >registry.  The new format in the registry can be added with a .reg file
with
| >the following contents:
| >
| >---------------------------------------------
| >Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
| >
| >[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.0\NativeDE\StepOver]
| >"10"="MyAnnoyingFunction=NoStepInto"
| >"15"="MyOtherAnnoyingFunction=NoStepInto"
| >"20"=".*CString.*=NoStepInto"
| >----------------------------------------------
| >
| >The problem is that I can't figure out the syntax for entering specific
| >class functions.  Used to be in autoexp.dat it was:
| >
| >CMyClass::MyFunction=NoStepInto
| >
| >But this does not work in the registry, so...
| >
| >"25"="CMyClass::MyFuntion=NoStepInto", and
| >"30"="CMyClass::operator()=NoStepInto"
| >
| >...does not work.  Supposedly the format "uses same regexp syntax as
Find".
| >Does anyone have a clue what that means?  And what is the correct syntax
| >use in my examples above?
| >
| >Thanks in advance!
| >Steven

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:55:41 GMT

1. NoStepInto not working in VS.NET?

2. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

3. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

4. VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)

5. VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0

6. Installing VS.Net and VS 6.0 side by side

7. Visual C# Standard vs VS.NET Pro

8. Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6

9. New Install of VS.NET brings up IE vs App on debug

10. VS 6.0 -> VS .NET migration issues

11. c# vs VS .net

12. install vs.net with VS 6.0 still present?