Program Crash.
Author Message
 Program Crash.

If my program crashes I wanted to check where it stooped last?
Right now I was thinking of writing each function down in text file when
that function executes.

Is there any better ways?

Thanks
Trupti

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:04:28 GMT
 Program Crash.
run it under the de{*filter*}.

/johan

Quote:
> If my program crashes I wanted to check where it stooped last?
> Right now I was thinking of writing each function down in text file when
> that function executes.

> Is there any better ways?

> Thanks
> Trupti

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:14:58 GMT
 Program Crash.
Assuming you're talking about the release build out in the open...

See the Bugslayer columns in the MSDN library by John Robbins. He has some
code that will create a log of the call stack of your program when it
crashed. And turn on debug information in the release build. Again, see his
articles.

David

Quote:
> If my program crashes I wanted to check where it stooped last?
> Right now I was thinking of writing each function down in text file when
> that function executes.

> Is there any better ways?

> Thanks
> Trupti

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:06:02 GMT
 Program Crash.

Quote:
>run it under the de{*filter*}.

But here's something I am running into.
I've put up an exe on the web. People run it (the debug exe), now they
get a crash (GPF) on some address. I have the address (they mail it to
me), I have the de{*filter*} and the debug exe. How can I quickly (I'm
using VC++6) jump to the address to see where the program crashed (to
get a hint of what the fault might be)?

The problem is that it doesn't crash on *my* machine, you see.
Although I do have tracing capabilities in a lot of my class
framework, it's rather slow (esp. on Windows PCs with their slow
filesystem implementation). And the files get so incredibly big when
things go right. :)

Ruud van Gaal, GPL Rank +53.25
Pencil art    : http://www.*-*-*.com/
Car simulation: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:49:07 GMT
 Program Crash.
Quote:
> If my program crashes I wanted to check where it stooped last?
> Right now I was thinking of writing each function down in text file when
> that function executes.

> Is there any better ways?

Yes, place statments like:
OutputDebugString("Point A");
Then run your program in debug mode, after it crashes you should see that
the strings have apeared in the debug window.

Another method is to use break points and then step through your program
until it crashes.

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:10:02 GMT
 Program Crash.
I know that but I wanted know about the release build out in the open...

Trupti

Quote:
> run it under the de{*filter*}.

> /johan

> > If my program crashes I wanted to check where it stooped last?
> > Right now I was thinking of writing each function down in text file when
> > that function executes.

> > Is there any better ways?

> > Thanks
> > Trupti

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:24:53 GMT
 Program Crash.

Quote:

>I've put up an exe on the web. People run it (the debug exe), now they
>get a crash (GPF) on some address. I have the address (they mail it to
>me), I have the de{*filter*} and the debug exe. How can I quickly (I'm
>using VC++6) jump to the address to see where the program crashed (to
>get a hint of what the fault might be)?

Set VC to generate a MAP file when the build is done. Then go to
www.halcyon.com/www2/ast/swdev.htm and download Andrew Tuckers
freeware MAPPROC utility which saves a lot of legwork in decoding
addresses in map files.

You should also spend some time getting familiar with the contents of
Dr Watson LOG files. There's an knowledgebase article on how to
interpret them - see Q81142

--
Bob Moore [WinSDK MVP]
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Do not reply via email unless specifically requested to do so.
Unsolicited email is NOT welcome and will go unanswered.

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:32:41 GMT
 Program Crash.
Also get hold of a copy of Debugging Applications by John Robbins.
A very good book.

Nick

> Assuming you're talking about the release build out in the open...

> See the Bugslayer columns in the MSDN library by John Robbins. He has some
> code that will create a log of the call stack of your program when it
> crashed. And turn on debug information in the release build. Again, see
his
> articles.

> David

> > If my program crashes I wanted to check where it stooped last?
> > Right now I was thinking of writing each function down in text file when
> > that function executes.

> > Is there any better ways?

> > Thanks
> > Trupti

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:47:24 GMT
 Program Crash.
Check www.jprobbins.com for his excellent CrashFinder
Investing in his book is advisable too ....

Ajit

Quote:
> Also get hold of a copy of Debugging Applications by John Robbins.
> A very good book.

> Nick

> --

> > Assuming you're talking about the release build out in the open...

> > See the Bugslayer columns in the MSDN library by John Robbins. He has
some
> > code that will create a log of the call stack of your program when it
> > crashed. And turn on debug information in the release build. Again, see
> his
> > articles.

> > David

> > > If my program crashes I wanted to check where it stooped last?
> > > Right now I was thinking of writing each function down in text file
when
> > > that function executes.

> > > Is there any better ways?

> > > Thanks
> > > Trupti

Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:02:20 GMT
 Program Crash.
It's relatively easy - but terribly non-obvious.

First, enable debug information. Do this before shipping your
product. Yes, this is a safe (indeed essential) thing to do with
release builds. The debug info gets stored in a .pdb file, not
in the executable, and it has way more information than a .map
file. In Project Settings: C/C++ tab - Debug info to Program
Database. Link tab - Generate debug info should be checked.
Then add /OPT:REF to the project options.

You should notice that your .exe size barely changes.

Now, every time you post an exe archive the .exe, the .pdb
and the source.

To analyze a crash address, load the .exe into DevStudio (yes,
you can do that). Then single step to load it into the de{*filter*},
and make sure the debug information loads (check output
window). Then open the registers window, put an insertion
point on EIP and type in the crash address.

When you hit enter, the de{*filter*} will take you to that
address. Now you're on your own.

If you want to collect more information than just the EIP,
check out John Robbins "Debugging Applications" or
download one of many exception handling articles - my
favourite is here:

 ftp://ftp.gdmag.com/pub/src/jan99.zip

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:23:00 GMT

1. Program crashes(Help)

2. Program Crashing

3. why does this little program crash ?

4. Program crashing?

5. program crash

6. Program crash

7. Program crashes with fscanf and string input

8. help, simple program crashes...

9. Program Crashed!

10. Help, program crashes

11. Program crash

12. program crashes before executing first line!