VC++ Ver 6 Problem
Author Message
 VC++ Ver 6 Problem

I am going nuts with the de{*filter*} in my VC++ Ver 6(Std Edition).

When I step through a program and hit a std library function like 'cout' the
de{*filter*} goes to the source assembly language code. The only way to get out
of this is to stop the de{*filter*}. I can 'step over" the 'cout' but then I do
not get the output I need to debug what I am doing.

Anybody know how to fix this?

BTW if I need to go to another newgroup please point the way.

Myrt in MT

Mon, 13 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++ Ver 6 Problem
This is not a bug.  When the de{*filter*} finds symbolic debug info for a
function, but no source files, and you step into it, it shows assembly.
Your choices are:
1. Deal with it.  Asm isn't so bad.
2. Open the correct source file.
3. Step over functions you don't want to step into.
4. When you get to asm, step out.

Chances are 4. is what you're looking for -- if you've got:

    CMyObject me;
    cout << me;

Where CMyObject::operator<< is defined and you want to step into it, do
this:

1. Get to the cout<<me line.
2. Step into
3. Ignore the asm
4. Step out
5. Step into
6. Repeat 4,5 until you get where you want to be.

OK?

-Jay

Quote:
> I am going nuts with the de{*filter*} in my VC++ Ver 6(Std Edition).

> When I step through a program and hit a std library function like 'cout'
the
> de{*filter*} goes to the source assembly language code. The only way to get
out
> of this is to stop the de{*filter*}. I can 'step over" the 'cout' but then I
do
> not get the output I need to debug what I am doing.

> Anybody know how to fix this?

> BTW if I need to go to another newgroup please point the way.

> Myrt in MT

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++ Ver 6 Problem
When installing VC++ make sure you install C++/MFC sources
as well...I used to have the same problem until I installed the C++
sources.

Peter

Quote:

>I am going nuts with the de{*filter*} in my VC++ Ver 6(Std Edition).

>When I step through a program and hit a std library function like 'cout'
the
>de{*filter*} goes to the source assembly language code. The only way to get out
>of this is to stop the de{*filter*}. I can 'step over" the 'cout' but then I do
>not get the output I need to debug what I am doing.

>Anybody know how to fix this?

>BTW if I need to go to another newgroup please point the way.

>Myrt in MT

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. MS VC ver 6.0 dynamicly linked mfc libs problem

2. MS VC ver 6.0 dynamicly linked mfc libs problem

3. debugging in vc++ ver 6

4. I look for c microsoft ver 6.0 or ver 7.0 for [dos] urgently

5. Ver.lib Ver.dll

6. diferences in ver 1 to ver 6

7. Error in Release ver not in Debug ver??

8. Commnad line compiler-linker in VC++ ver 4

9. Profiling code VC ver 4.2

10. MS VC ver 6 Pro question

11. OT: Purchasing VC++ Ver 4.2

12. GPF error in VER.DLL with VC++ 1.52