VC Debugger showing wrong information?
Author Message
 VC Debugger showing wrong information?

I'm using Visual Studio 6.0 SP4 Enterprise Edition and the de{*filter*} has been
giving me fits lately.  What happens is I have a breakpoint set on a line
that assigns a value to a bool (private) in an object:

    m_bFooBar = true;

When the de{*filter*} breaks on that line and I step over it, the Auto window
shows that it hasn't changed (it shows as 0).  If I have
this->MyClass::m_bFooBar set up in the Watch1 window, it shows it being
changed (in the Watch1 window--the Auto window still shows no change).
What's even stranger is if I put another member variable, say m_bFunkyStuff,
into my class definition and replace all instances of m_bFooBar with it in
the implementation, the exact same thing happens!  It doesn't matter if I
make it a bool, int, float, or char.  I've also set breakpoints like so in
some of the member functions of the class, just to make sure I wasn't
imagining things:

    if (m_bFooBar)
    {
        int nBaz = 0;

If I set a breakpoint on the int nBaz = 0 line, the de{*filter*} will break on
it and show a 0 for m_bFooBar in the Auto window, even though it *has* to be
1 in order to trip that breakpoint.  This is not a multithreaded app, so I'm
pretty sure it's not getting clobbered elsewhere.  Any ideas?

BTW, may or may not be relevant, but the class also uses *lots* of
CStrings...

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:24:45 GMT

1. Class view shows wrong information.

2. Disabling the VC debugger in VC 6.0

3. Wrong Debugger

4. Debugger symbolic information

5. _STAT returns wrong information

6. Debugger opens wrong sourcefile!

7. Debugger Information Question....

8. How to forgit wrong source file in debugger?

9. call stack information outside the debugger

10. Debugger Information for a Templated Class

11. Debugger does not show time of DateTime variable

12. wstring will not show up in debugger