Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
Author Message
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6

I need to be able to use the Visual Studio (VC++ 6) de{*filter*} on
some of my applications.  I've discovered the vs7jit.exe /RegisterOld
option which allows me to display the de{*filter*} in the list of de{*filter*}s
displayed by VS .NET.  However, when I choose the VS6 de{*filter*}, my
application ends up in some kind of strange state (VS should pop up
a dialog reporting the reason for the crash, and position me at the place
where the crash occurred, but instead it acts as if the application is running
and didn't crash).

I've seen one suggestion on how to solve this problem ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
which says to turn off Native debugging in VS.NET, but that simply eliminates the
list of de{*filter*}s, and since I sometimes need to use VS.NET, I'd rather not take
that approach.

Is there any way to get /RegisterOld to work properly?

Thanks...

-- jeff

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 03:54:28 GMT
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
/RegisterOld is not a ducumented or supported option.

Could you please let my know why you were opposed to using the VS7
de{*filter*}.  When we tried using VS7 de{*filter*} in our earlier tests everything
seemed to work well.

Sincerely,

Kevin
Microsoft Support

--------------------

| Subject: Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
| Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:54:28 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging,microsoft.public.vc.de{*filter*}
|
| I need to be able to use the Visual Studio (VC++ 6) de{*filter*} on
| some of my applications.  I've discovered the vs7jit.exe /RegisterOld
| option which allows me to display the de{*filter*} in the list of de{*filter*}s
| displayed by VS .NET.  However, when I choose the VS6 de{*filter*}, my
| application ends up in some kind of strange state (VS should pop up
| a dialog reporting the reason for the crash, and position me at the place
| where the crash occurred, but instead it acts as if the application is
running
| and didn't crash).
|
| I've seen one suggestion on how to solve this problem
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
| which says to turn off Native debugging in VS.NET, but that simply
eliminates the
| list of de{*filter*}s, and since I sometimes need to use VS.NET, I'd rather
not take
| that approach.
|
| Is there any way to get /RegisterOld to work properly?
|
| Thanks...
|
| -- jeff

Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:32:02 GMT
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
I use VS6 de{*filter*} because:

1) it starts up much faster (and when it starts up, it
doesn't pop up a secondary dialog requiring me to
check a box saying that i want to use debug native
code)

2) i know the shortcuts, menus, etc.

In other words, I can debug my application much faster.
I use VS7 for debugging my .NET applications, but I prefer
to debug my non-.NET apps with VS6.

One thing I didn't mention is that /RegisterOld also allows me
to use WinDbg, which is occasionally useful for particularly
tricky problems.

It's fine if Microsoft doesn't want to support /RegisterOld,
but I would like some way to switch between de{*filter*}s, and
forcing me to start up VS7 and drill down to the appropriate
option to turn native debugging on and off is a pain.

Perhaps there is a better (undocumented, of course) way to
turn on and off VS7 native debugging?  I don't mind having
to write something that will juggle registry values (in fact,
John Robbins, of MSJ / Bugslayer fame) wrote a nice little
utility to do this, but it doesn't work for VS7).

-- jeff

Quote:
> /RegisterOld is not a ducumented or supported option.

> Could you please let my know why you were opposed to using the VS7
> de{*filter*}.  When we tried using VS7 de{*filter*} in our earlier tests everything
> seemed to work well.

> Sincerely,

> Kevin
> Microsoft Support

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 03:16:47 GMT
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
Hi Jeff,

If you want to toggle between VS .Net & VS6 in the jit dialog, you can
change this simply by turning Jit on/off in the desired VS. This is in
Tools->Options->Debugging->Just-In-Time in VS .Net, and
Tools->Options->Debug->Just In Time debugging in VS6. (since you have VC6,
in VS .Net you need change only the Native checkbox on/off).

General debugging will remain the same, you can open a project and debug
from both the apps, but if an exe crashes, then it will be debugged from the
VS in which Jit option is on.

Let me know if you have any further problems with this.

Regards,
Deeptanshu.

purposes only.

> I need to be able to use the Visual Studio (VC++ 6) de{*filter*} on
> some of my applications.  I've discovered the vs7jit.exe /RegisterOld
> option which allows me to display the de{*filter*} in the list of de{*filter*}s
> displayed by VS .NET.  However, when I choose the VS6 de{*filter*}, my
> application ends up in some kind of strange state (VS should pop up
> a dialog reporting the reason for the crash, and position me at the place
> where the crash occurred, but instead it acts as if the application is
running
> and didn't crash).

> I've seen one suggestion on how to solve this problem

( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
Quote:
> which says to turn off Native debugging in VS.NET, but that simply
eliminates the
> list of de{*filter*}s, and since I sometimes need to use VS.NET, I'd rather
not take
> that approach.

> Is there any way to get /RegisterOld to work properly?

> Thanks...

> -- jeff

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 05:58:11 GMT
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
That doesn't work for me because I don't use VS6 for development,
I just use it for debugging.  Also, when I'm using VS7, I don't want
to have to remember to drill down through the various dialogs to
toggle the setting.  In other words, I'm looking for some way to
automate this process.

Of course, it would even better if /RegisterOld worked properly!

-- jeff

Quote:
> Hi Jeff,

> If you want to toggle between VS .Net & VS6 in the jit dialog, you can
> change this simply by turning Jit on/off in the desired VS. This is in
> Tools->Options->Debugging->Just-In-Time in VS .Net, and
> Tools->Options->Debug->Just In Time debugging in VS6. (since you have VC6,
> in VS .Net you need change only the Native checkbox on/off).

> General debugging will remain the same, you can open a project and debug
> from both the apps, but if an exe crashes, then it will be debugged from the
> VS in which Jit option is on.

> Let me know if you have any further problems with this.

> Regards,
> Deeptanshu.

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:41:53 GMT
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
By the way, using "Tools->Options->Debug->Just In Time debugging in VS6"
does not seem to work if you've got VS.NET set to do native debugging.

I'm still looking for a good solution here, please help me out.  Thanks...

-- jeff

Quote:
> Hi Jeff,

> If you want to toggle between VS .Net & VS6 in the jit dialog, you can
> change this simply by turning Jit on/off in the desired VS. This is in
> Tools->Options->Debugging->Just-In-Time in VS .Net, and
> Tools->Options->Debug->Just In Time debugging in VS6. (since you have VC6,
> in VS .Net you need change only the Native checkbox on/off).

> General debugging will remain the same, you can open a project and debug
> from both the apps, but if an exe crashes, then it will be debugged from the
> VS in which Jit option is on.

> Let me know if you have any further problems with this.

> Regards,
> Deeptanshu.

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:49:25 GMT
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6
Hi Jeff,

If you want to automate this, write the registry key for the de{*filter*}. This
is the key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\De{*filter*}. You can see the value change between VC6
& VS .Net when you set the Jit checkbox in the products.

BTW, why are you using VC6 for debugging if you are not using it for
development, if you don't mind my asking? Do you find the VS .Net de{*filter*}
inconvenient? I would say that VS .Net has a more powerful de{*filter*} than
VC6, even if you debug only non-managed VC++ apps.

Regards,
D.V.

purposes only.

> That doesn't work for me because I don't use VS6 for development,
> I just use it for debugging.  Also, when I'm using VS7, I don't want
> to have to remember to drill down through the various dialogs to
> toggle the setting.  In other words, I'm looking for some way to
> automate this process.

> Of course, it would even better if /RegisterOld worked properly!

> -- jeff

> > Hi Jeff,

> > If you want to toggle between VS .Net & VS6 in the jit dialog, you can
> > change this simply by turning Jit on/off in the desired VS. This is in
> > Tools->Options->Debugging->Just-In-Time in VS .Net, and
> > Tools->Options->Debug->Just In Time debugging in VS6. (since you have
VC6,
> > in VS .Net you need change only the Native checkbox on/off).

> > General debugging will remain the same, you can open a project and debug
> > from both the apps, but if an exe crashes, then it will be debugged from
the
> > VS in which Jit option is on.

> > Let me know if you have any further problems with this.

> > Regards,
> > Deeptanshu.

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:39:12 GMT
 Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6

Quote:

> BTW, why are you using VC6 for debugging if you are not using it for
> development, if you don't mind my asking? Do you find the VS .Net de{*filter*}
> inconvenient? I would say that VS .Net has a more powerful de{*filter*} than
> VC6, even if you debug only non-managed VC++ apps.

VS.NET is much slower to start up, and it pops up an extra dialog when JIT
debugging.  Also, as I've been using VC6 de{*filter*} for years, I find it easier
to use because I know where everything is.

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 06:06:12 GMT

1. VS.NET to 2003 Upgrade causes DEBUG build to fail

2. Problem remotely debugging on Win98 using VS.Net 2003

3. VS.NET 2003 VC++ and .NET controls

4. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

5. Copy VS.NET 2003 settings to another machine...

6. VS.Net 2003 compiler issues

7. VS.NET 2003 linker dependencies bug

8. VS.NET 2003 file dependencies problem.

9. why VS.NET 2003?

10. Possible MC++ bug in VS.NET 2003

11. code comments in VS.net 2003

12. VS.NET 2003