OutputDebugString Bug in Win2000
Author Message
 OutputDebugString Bug in Win2000

Hopefully, this is the correct group to post this but does
anyone have any info on this. I'm currently trying to
upgrade my webservers from NT4 to Win2000. Everything is
fine except for my debug utility which we use to determine
customer errors. I assume that this is related to my COM
object which runs under IIS with a guest account. Any
suggestions on how to get it to work?

Thanks.

BUG: OutputDebugString Output Fails to Appear on Windows
2000

---------------------

Microsoft Win32 Application Programming Interface (API),
used with:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

---------------------

SYMPTOMS
If a process calls the OutputDebugString() API under the
context of a user account who is not a member of the
Administrators group and the process is not being
debugged, the output will not be shown by Dbmon or similar
debug output monitor tools.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft
products listed at the beginning of this article.

MORE INFORMATION
Calling the OutputDebugString() API works correctly if the
caller is either LocalSystem or a member of the local
Administrators group.

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:47:20 GMT
 OutputDebugString Bug in Win2000
Search for dbwin32. It is a handy tool that captures OutputDebug
String output. When you find it you should also find some
source code for communicating with DBWin32 on Win9x,
where OutputDebugString capturing doesn't work.

I don't know if this code will work on Win2K, but with the
source to DBWin32 and the source to your OutputDebugString
replacement you have both sides of the equation and you can
definitely make it work.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment
http://www.humongous.com/

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:51:45 GMT

1. Remote debugging bug - OutputDebugString

2. BUG: OutputDebugString Output Fails to Appear on Windows 2000

3. VC 60 SP3, Win2000, and NT4 compiler bug?

4. WIN2000 KERNEL BUG ALERT!!!

5. Win2000 porting to XP bugs...

6. CSocket Bug in Win2000

7. FYI: MFC BUG with Win2000 and Platform SDK

8. OutputDebugString is not working in Service under Windows 2003

9. DBWin32 V2.2 Captures OutputDebugString on '95/'98/NT

10. OutputDebugString() Question?

11. OutputDebugString and Terminal Server

12. How to Capture OutputDebugString's string?