problem with iostream.h on windows 2000
Author Message
 problem with iostream.h on windows 2000

Hi all,

I am a 14 years old and am trying to learn c++. I have visual studio 6.0
installed on windows 2000 OS. When I try to compile any code I get the
following error message.

Can anyone please help me!

Thanks alot

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual

Studio\MyProjects\Hello\Hello.cpp(5) : fatal error

C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such

file or directory

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 problem with iostream.h on windows 2000

Quote:

>I am a 14 years old and am trying to learn c++. I have visual studio 6.0
>installed on windows 2000 OS. When I try to compile any code I get the
>following error message.

>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\MyProjects\Hello\Hello.cpp(5) :
> fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such
> file or directory

Double-check that you have your directory paths set up properly in the
Tools | Options | Directories dialog. You should have "C:\Program Files\
Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include" in the list of include directories.

You also might consider using the newer headers for iostreams; that
would be #include <iostream> (note no .h). If you do that, you'll
want to read a little bit about namespaces, since the <iostream>
header puts its methods and variables into the std:: namespace. See
the help topic "Using Standard C++ Headers" for a starting point.

Also check out the other microsoft.public.vc.* newsgroups,
especially vc.language and (if you're using mfc) vc.mfc.

--
 - Katy

Katy Mulvey             Please post replies to the newsgroup, thanks!
ORMEC Systems           Check out the VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
http://www.ormec.com    MVP/VC++  http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 problem with iostream.h on windows 2000
Thank you very much, I will try and use your suggestions

Thanks again.

Quote:

> >I am a 14 years old and am trying to learn c++. I have visual studio 6.0
> >installed on windows 2000 OS. When I try to compile any code I get the
> >following error message.

> >C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\MyProjects\Hello\Hello.cpp(5) :
> > fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such
> > file or directory

> Double-check that you have your directory paths set up properly in the
> Tools | Options | Directories dialog. You should have "C:\Program Files\
> Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include" in the list of include directories.

> You also might consider using the newer headers for iostreams; that
> would be #include <iostream> (note no .h). If you do that, you'll
> want to read a little bit about namespaces, since the <iostream>
> header puts its methods and variables into the std:: namespace. See
> the help topic "Using Standard C++ Headers" for a starting point.

> Also check out the other microsoft.public.vc.* newsgroups,
> especially vc.language and (if you're using mfc) vc.mfc.

> --
>  - Katy

> Katy Mulvey             Please post replies to the newsgroup, thanks!
> ORMEC Systems           Check out the VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> http://www.ormec.com    MVP/VC++  http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 problem with iostream.h on windows 2000
Thank you for your help, the problem has been solved. But now I have another
problem.
   After I have compiled the code I get a "fatal error message LNK1104:
cannot open file "libcid.lib"

Please help!

Quote:

> >I am a 14 years old and am trying to learn c++. I have visual studio 6.0
> >installed on windows 2000 OS. When I try to compile any code I get the
> >following error message.

> >C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\MyProjects\Hello\Hello.cpp(5) :
> > fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such
> > file or directory

> Double-check that you have your directory paths set up properly in the
> Tools | Options | Directories dialog. You should have "C:\Program Files\
> Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include" in the list of include directories.

> You also might consider using the newer headers for iostreams; that
> would be #include <iostream> (note no .h). If you do that, you'll
> want to read a little bit about namespaces, since the <iostream>
> header puts its methods and variables into the std:: namespace. See
> the help topic "Using Standard C++ Headers" for a starting point.

> Also check out the other microsoft.public.vc.* newsgroups,
> especially vc.language and (if you're using mfc) vc.mfc.

> --
>  - Katy

> Katy Mulvey             Please post replies to the newsgroup, thanks!
> ORMEC Systems           Check out the VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> http://www.ormec.com    MVP/VC++  http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 problem with iostream.h on windows 2000

Quote:

>Thank you for your help, the problem has been solved. But now I have another
>problem.
>   After I have compiled the code I get a "fatal error message LNK1104:
>cannot open file "libcid.lib"

Sounds like your directory paths are not set up properly for
libraries, either.

Tools|Options|Directories needs the vc98\lib directory for
"library files".

If your paths aren't set right, perhaps you need to reinstall
VStudio so they are all reset at once? I don't believe there
is a list in any of the readme files...

--
 - Katy

Katy Mulvey             Please post replies to the newsgroup, thanks!
ORMEC Systems           Check out the VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
http://www.ormec.com    MVP/VC++  http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 problem with iostream.h on windows 2000
Looks like something is wrong with the settings in VC++ due to which you
are unable to compile your file properly. Go to
Tools->Options->Directories, select Include Files, there see if you have
the following:

E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\INCLUDE
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\ATL\INCLUDE

The iostream.h file is in the vc98\include directory. You may also want to
search that directory for that file. You can also use STL (standard
template library) instead of the standard C++ library, for that you will
have to do

#include<iostream>
using namespace std;

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. windows 2000 pro or windows 2000 server?

2. Porting Windows 98 apllication to Windows 2000 problem.

3. HttpWebRequest problem with Windows 2000

4. Installation Problem with Windows 2000

5. Finding Version Problems in MSDEV-C targeted for Windows 2000

6. problem with communication down windows 2000 server

7. DAO problems using windows XP and access 2000

8. Wizards and Windows 2000 problem??

9. PDH problems on Windows 2000

10. Problem using OutputDebugString under Windows 2000 in a service

11. argv[0] problem under Windows 2000

12. ShellExecute and Windows 2000 problem