Application Errors
Author Message
 Application Errors

I am trying to debug a problem using MS VC++ 6.0 by running my code in
debug mode. I was hoping that when the application crashed it would
send
me into the code so I could see what line is causing the problem.

However when I got the following error:
MSDEV.EXE - Application Error
The instruction at 0x5f4012a1 referenced memory at location 0x00000004
The memory could not be read.
Press OK to terminate

I was only allowed to terminate the application by pressing the OK
button (there was no cancel button). Upon pressing the OK button both
the application and the MS VC++ development environment died.

I have made sure of the following: Just in time debugging has been
checked, and that the build was actually a debug build (not a release
build).

How come the de{*filter*} would not drop into the code upon this error?

One other question that I have is what is the difference between the
release mode and debug mode. Other than that in debug mode the memory
locations have guard bytes around them. I am trying to figure out why
my
program is crashing faster in release mode (8 -12 hrs) than in debug
mode (3-5 days).

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Mike

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Application Errors

Quote:
<Mike Toreno> wrote...
> I am trying to debug a problem using MS VC++ 6.0 by running my code in
> debug mode. I was hoping that when the application crashed it would
> send me into the code so I could see what line is causing the problem.

> However when I got the following error:
> MSDEV.EXE - Application Error
> The instruction at 0x5f4012a1 referenced memory at location 0x00000004
> How come the de{*filter*} would not drop into the code upon this error?

Because the de{*filter*} has crashed.

Quote:
> One other question that I have is what is the difference between the
> release mode and debug mode. Other than that in debug mode the memory
> locations have guard bytes around them. I am trying to figure out why
> my
> program is crashing faster in release mode (8 -12 hrs) than in debug
> mode (3-5 days).

Probably something to do with different memory allocation stratergies --
release mode is a lot stricter about reusing address space (local variables
and the like) If you can, there was an excellent presentation at TechEd
(Power Debugging Techniques With Visual C++ - 6-408) which I believe the
slides are online for...

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Application Error while running the application

2. Application Error when exiting application with WM_CLOSE

3. no compile error, but with application error

4. Application Error: Pointer Error

5. ATL application error in vc7 but not in vc6

6. IIS Application Error in .NET

7. Writing to the Windows 2000 Application Error Log

8. Application error in malloc()

9. Application Error

10. Internal Application Error

11. Internal Application Error using DAO

12. ATL application error in vc7 but not in vc6