Starting VC6.0 debugger from command line?
Author Message
 Starting VC6.0 debugger from command line?

I found a KB article that says some versions of VC++ can launch the
de{*filter*} from the command line by just running

msdev program.exe

as long as the .pdb file is in the same directory as the .exe file.

I tried this with VC++ 6.0 (which is not one of the versions listed
in the KB article that is older than version 6 of the compiler),
and it doesn't seem to work at all.

All it does is bring up its window and list program.exe in the file
view as a folder, but I can't seem to make it debug the program (or
open the folder :-).

Is there some new way to invoke the de{*filter*} from thecommand line with
VC6.0? I'd really like to be able to debug without having to create a VC
workspace just to be able to run the de{*filter*} from it.
--

Concurrent Computers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL    \\\\     this troublesome
Me: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~Tom.Horsley/          \\\\     autoconf?

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting VC6.0 debugger from command line?
After the IDE launches, hit F5.

Quote:
> I found a KB article that says some versions of VC++ can launch the
> de{*filter*} from the command line by just running

> msdev program.exe

> as long as the .pdb file is in the same directory as the .exe file.

> I tried this with VC++ 6.0 (which is not one of the versions listed
> in the KB article that is older than version 6 of the compiler),
> and it doesn't seem to work at all.

> All it does is bring up its window and list program.exe in the file
> view as a folder, but I can't seem to make it debug the program (or
> open the folder :-).

> Is there some new way to invoke the de{*filter*} from thecommand line with
> VC6.0? I'd really like to be able to debug without having to create a VC
> workspace just to be able to run the de{*filter*} from it.
> --

> Concurrent Computers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL    \\\\     this troublesome
> Me: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~Tom.Horsley/          \\\\     autoconf?
> Project Vote Smart: http://www.*-*-*.com/     \\\\    !!!!!

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting VC6.0 debugger from command line?
Tom,

Run "msdev /?" to get a list of commandline options. You'll see "/EX"
available to run a VBScript macro.

Go to Tools\Macro and create a macro something like this:

Sub DebugMyProj()
 Documents.Open("c:\projects\myproj\debug\myproj.exe")
 De{*filter*}.Go
End Sub

Now start msdev with the commandline "msdev /EX DebugMyProj"

Hope this helps.

Michael

Quote:
> I found a KB article that says some versions of VC++ can launch the
> de{*filter*} from the command line by just running

> msdev program.exe

> as long as the .pdb file is in the same directory as the .exe file.

> I tried this with VC++ 6.0 (which is not one of the versions listed
> in the KB article that is older than version 6 of the compiler),
> and it doesn't seem to work at all.

> All it does is bring up its window and list program.exe in the file
> view as a folder, but I can't seem to make it debug the program (or
> open the folder :-).

> Is there some new way to invoke the de{*filter*} from thecommand line with
> VC6.0? I'd really like to be able to debug without having to create a VC
> workspace just to be able to run the de{*filter*} from it.
> --

> Concurrent Computers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL    \\\\     this troublesome
> Me: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~Tom.Horsley/          \\\\     autoconf?
> Project Vote Smart: http://www.*-*-*.com/     \\\\    !!!!!

Fri, 03 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting VC6.0 debugger from command line?

Quote:
>Run "msdev /?" to get a list of commandline options. You'll see "/EX"
>available to run a VBScript macro.

Actually, additional investigation shows that I can start the de{*filter*} by
simply passing a .exe filename on the command line. It's just that the
screen comes up almostly totally blank with none of the normal de{*filter*}
windows visible, so it doesn't look like the de{*filter*} is running.

However, if you manually open source files and start setting breakpoints,
you can debug the program.
--

Concurrent Computers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL    \\\\     this troublesome
Me: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~Tom.Horsley/          \\\\     autoconf?
Project Vote Smart: http://www.*-*-*.com/     \\\\    !!!!!

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Start/no start app using command line?

2. Start Debugger from Command Prompt?

3. Command line use of VC 6 debugger?

4. VC's debugger command-line switches.

5. command-line debugger

6. Command Line Options and Debugger

7. Debugger command line interface

8. Trouble connecting visual studio 6.0 debugger to a running process compiled on the command line

9. Run Debugger on Command Line?

10. launching debugger from command line

11. MFC command-line debugger

12. starting MSDEV via command line