Memory Read/write problem using vc++ 6.0
Author Message
 Memory Read/write problem using vc++ 6.0

I have a problem when compiling under win200 service pack 1
and using vc++ with service pack 4.

The problem is that sometimes i get a message when compiling that the
application can't read/write into memory, thus making visual crash.

Is there a solution to avoid this kind of error.

Let me know.
Later,

//removed nospam or reply in newsgroup.

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:22:29 GMT
 Memory Read/write problem using vc++ 6.0
I haven't experienced that exact problem, but I
did come across something like it in a KB article
a while ago.

see if this helps shed some light:
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/9/35.ASP
or search on "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR"
there.

Other things you can try are:
  + make sure you do a full clean and all generated
     files have been removed (all the .pch, .obj, etc)
  + double check your precompiled header
      settings.
  + verify that there isn't some rogue left-over
     devstudio process left running.

In general my experience with Visual Studio and
service pack 4 is that it is really picky about its use
of pre-compiled headers.

Oh, and uninstalling SP4 is near-impossible if you
ask me.  Is anyone else ticked-off that SP4 breaks
BoundsChecker!??

good luck,
Todd
====

Quote:
> I have a problem when compiling under win200 service pack 1
> and using vc++ with service pack 4.

> The problem is that sometimes i get a message when compiling that the
> application can't read/write into memory, thus making visual crash.

> Is there a solution to avoid this kind of error.

> Let me know.
> Later,

> //removed nospam or reply in newsgroup.

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:30:07 GMT
 Memory Read/write problem using vc++ 6.0
I have the same read/write memory error but I get it at run-time not
compile-time.
I don't think it's a program error because the error just happens...not
reproducable.

Quote:
> I have a problem when compiling under win200 service pack 1
> and using vc++ with service pack 4.

> The problem is that sometimes i get a message when compiling that the
> application can't read/write into memory, thus making visual crash.

> Is there a solution to avoid this kind of error.

> Let me know.
> Later,

> //removed nospam or reply in newsgroup.

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:04:29 GMT
 Memory Read/write problem using vc++ 6.0
I just installed win2k (and now have to reinstall it).  Does VS SP3 have
the same affect?  If not, I'm gonna install it instead of sp4.

says...

Quote:
> I haven't experienced that exact problem, but I
> did come across something like it in a KB article
> a while ago.

> see if this helps shed some light:
>   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/9/35.ASP
> or search on "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR"
> there.

> Other things you can try are:
>   + make sure you do a full clean and all generated
>      files have been removed (all the .pch, .obj, etc)
>   + double check your precompiled header
>       settings.
>   + verify that there isn't some rogue left-over
>      devstudio process left running.

> In general my experience with Visual Studio and
> service pack 4 is that it is really picky about its use
> of pre-compiled headers.

> Oh, and uninstalling SP4 is near-impossible if you
> ask me.  Is anyone else ticked-off that SP4 breaks
> BoundsChecker!??

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:23:34 GMT
 Memory Read/write problem using vc++ 6.0
You've probably got some bugs in your program that were exposed by the
change in compiler from 5 to 6. Changes in stack layout and usage, for
example, can expose uninitialized variable type bugs, which may have been
working because some other function set the stack location of a local
variable to a working value but the new compiler arranges the locals
differently.

When we upgraded to VC6, we started seeing some new bugs in our builds that
didn't appear in previous versions. Since we archive all our builds we could
track them back to the switch in compilers, which usually points to hidden
bugs being exposed.

If you debug the release version you can usually find these problems
although it's hard work, but some of the compiler switches (/GZ) and tools
like BoundsChecker also help.

David

Quote:
> I was having the same problem with a program that I had written originally
> in MSVC++ 5. I made some changes and now used MSVC++ 6 SP3 and the
Netscape
> LDAP 3.0 API, it crashed at run time, so I went crazy trying to figure out
> what was happening with no luck and just got mad and recompiled with VC++
5
> and it runs fine. Unfortunately for me sometimes I just have to move on
> without ever really resolving the issue. Most likely I will have to use
> version 5 from now on, unless I can get this to work in version 6 my boss
> will flip out if I try to continue using MSVC++ 6

Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:50:09 GMT

1. Memory Read/write problem using vc++ 6.0

2. Problem to convert from VC 6.0 to VC 7.1 because of using filebuf::setmode()

3. Reading file written in VB using VC

4. Problem with write using CFile and read using fscanf()

5. Using VC++ 6.0 to write a simple C program

6. Problem using STL in VC 6.0

7. HLP : VC's DLL problems when using VB 6.0

8. Problem to create a dialog in dll using VC 6.0

9. Problem using STL in VC 6.0

10. how to write Excel cells in application written by VC++ 6.0

11. vc++ 5.0 to vc++ 6.0 problem

12. Problem with Win 98 or VC++ 6.0 memory management