about *.lib
Author Message
 about *.lib

hi, folks.
 I am working on a project which imports a *.lib file our customer
 provides. what drives me crazy is that i spend 10 hours on finding
 that it is a static lib file(i have never created a static library
 before). so i have so many ?s in my head and wish u gurus would like
 to help me.

1, what is the difference between a dll *.lib and a static *.lib ?
2, i get a link error :
   linking...
   xxx.lib(xxx.obj)...
   lnk1202 : the debug info is missing reference modules .....
   what happened ?
   i search in the MSDN, only find a piece of article which recommends
   me to re-compile the source using /Zi option. but i can't, because
   no source available.

thank u !

regards,

John

Sat, 21 May 2005 21:00:31 GMT
 about *.lib
Hi John,
i can only answer ?1:
both are "archives of object code".
They in there content. A DLL's lib file contains only
import references for stuff the DLL exports.
The "static" lib contains code pieces for static linking
them into your executable (EXE,DLL,...) as requested
by your project.

Regards,
Juergen

Quote:
> hi, folks.
>  I am working on a project which imports a *.lib file our customer
>  provides. what drives me crazy is that i spend 10 hours on finding
>  that it is a static lib file(i have never created a static library
>  before). so i have so many ?s in my head and wish u gurus would like
>  to help me.

> 1, what is the difference between a dll *.lib and a static *.lib ?
> 2, i get a link error :
>    linking...
>    xxx.lib(xxx.obj)...
>    lnk1202 : the debug info is missing reference modules .....
>    what happened ?
>    i search in the MSDN, only find a piece of article which recommends
>    me to re-compile the source using /Zi option. but i can't, because
>    no source available.

> thank u !

> regards,

> John

Sat, 21 May 2005 22:00:53 GMT
 about *.lib
Juergen,
Thank u very much,now i understand ?1.
let's wait for the ?2 :-).

regards,

John

Quote:
> Hi John,
> i can only answer ?1:
> both are "archives of object code".
> They in there content. A DLL's lib file contains only
> import references for stuff the DLL exports.
> The "static" lib contains code pieces for static linking
> them into your executable (EXE,DLL,...) as requested
> by your project.

> Regards,
> Juergen

> > hi, folks.
> >  I am working on a project which imports a *.lib file our customer
> >  provides. what drives me crazy is that i spend 10 hours on finding
> >  that it is a static lib file(i have never created a static library
> >  before). so i have so many ?s in my head and wish u gurus would like
> >  to help me.

> > 1, what is the difference between a dll *.lib and a static *.lib ?
> > 2, i get a link error :
> >    linking...
> >    xxx.lib(xxx.obj)...
> >    lnk1202 : the debug info is missing reference modules .....
> >    what happened ?
> >    i search in the MSDN, only find a piece of article which recommends
> >    me to re-compile the source using /Zi option. but i can't, because
> >    no source available.

> > thank u !

> > regards,

> > John

Sat, 21 May 2005 23:22:44 GMT
 about *.lib

Quote:
>Hi John,
>i can only answer ?1:
>both are "archives of object code".
>They in there content. A DLL's lib file contains only
>import references for stuff the DLL exports.
>The "static" lib contains code pieces for static linking
>them into your executable (EXE,DLL,...) as requested
>by your project.

>Regards,
>Juergen

>> hi, folks.
>>  I am working on a project which imports a *.lib file our customer
>>  provides. what drives me crazy is that i spend 10 hours on finding
>>  that it is a static lib file(i have never created a static library
>>  before). so i have so many ?s in my head and wish u gurus would like
>>  to help me.

>> 1, what is the difference between a dll *.lib and a static *.lib ?
>> 2, i get a link error :
>>    linking...
>>    xxx.lib(xxx.obj)...
>>    lnk1202 : the debug info is missing reference modules .....
>>    what happened ?

Has your customer provided no documentation?
They also ought to provide a simple application which builds with the
library and other test information. Until you know the interfaces can be
built in your environment, you are blindly seeking a solution. Talk to
the customer or talk to the person allowed to talk to the customer or
talk...

Quote:

--
Walter Briscoe

Sun, 22 May 2005 00:19:42 GMT
 about *.lib
Hi,

The differences between the two lib types have been covered well by the
other posters.

As for the link error, this means that the library you have received from
your customer does not have the correct .pdb file (the debugging symbols
file) to link against.  Could you please post the actual link error line so
we can confirm.

Thanks,

--
John Cunningham & Robert Sanchez
Visual C++ Team

> >Hi John,
> >i can only answer ?1:
> >both are "archives of object code".
> >They in there content. A DLL's lib file contains only
> >import references for stuff the DLL exports.
> >The "static" lib contains code pieces for static linking
> >them into your executable (EXE,DLL,...) as requested
> >by your project.

> >Regards,
> >Juergen

> >> hi, folks.
> >>  I am working on a project which imports a *.lib file our customer
> >>  provides. what drives me crazy is that i spend 10 hours on finding
> >>  that it is a static lib file(i have never created a static library
> >>  before). so i have so many ?s in my head and wish u gurus would like
> >>  to help me.

> >> 1, what is the difference between a dll *.lib and a static *.lib ?
> >> 2, i get a link error :
> >>    linking...
> >>    xxx.lib(xxx.obj)...
> >>    lnk1202 : the debug info is missing reference modules .....
> >>    what happened ?
> Has your customer provided no documentation?
> They also ought to provide a simple application which builds with the
> library and other test information. Until you know the interfaces can be
> built in your environment, you are blindly seeking a solution. Talk to
> the customer or talk to the person allowed to talk to the customer or
> talk...

> >>    i search in the MSDN, only find a piece of article which recommends
> >>    me to re-compile the source using /Zi option. but i can't, because
> >>    no source available.

> >> thank u !

> >> regards,

> >> John

> --
> Walter Briscoe

Sun, 22 May 2005 02:19:59 GMT
 about *.lib

Quote:
> > > 2, i get a link error :
> > >    linking...
> > >    xxx.lib(xxx.obj)...
> > >    lnk1202 : the debug info is missing reference modules .....

Are you compiling your app with the same version of the compiler that
the lib used?  It sounds like the pdb file might not be compatible.
(What version are you using?)

You might want to remove (or rename) the pdb file and see if that
helps things.  I don't think you'll have much use of the debugging
information anyway, without source.

Hope this helps,
G.

Sun, 22 May 2005 08:33:05 GMT

1. How to get rid of odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib

2. Beta 2: Mfcdload.lib and atldload.lib missing

3. CONFLICT - Global Var of a .LIB Vs Global Var of a program which uses the LIB

4. Microsoft C run-time lib LLIBCE.LIB

5. To Cursor Lib or not to Cursor Lib

6. Lib of Microsoft C to Lib Borland C

7. Fdectsp.lib and decLib.lib

8. convert 16 bit lib to 32 bit lib.

9. Convert a MS Lib into a Borland Lib

10. Differentiate LIB file for static library and LIB file for DLL

11. lib that uses another lib

12. nafxcw.lib vs libcpmt.lib