Debugging apps external to IDE
Author Message
 Debugging apps external to IDE

I come from a Unix background and build
libraries using my own Makefile's.  However,
if I want to use them in the de{*filter*}, I
can't because it doesn't seem to pick up
the source. (I only attach to the de{*filter*}
via the IDE, is there a seperate debug exe?)

I figured the debug compiler options needed to be
set (/GZ and/or /Z?).  However,  that didn't work.

I am using Visual C++ 6.0 SE, on Win98.

Sorry for the newbie type questions.
Thanks for any help,
-DaveS

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:03:14 GMT
 Debugging apps external to IDE

Quote:
> I come from a Unix background and build
> libraries using my own Makefiles.  However,
> if I want to use them in the de{*filter*}, I
> can't because it doesn't seem to pick up
> the source. (I only attach to the de{*filter*}
> via the IDE, is there a seperate debug exe?)

It doesn't load them all automagically. The sequence goes:

Compile with /Z7 for C, or /Zi for C++. /GZ alters the generated code,
rather than providing debug information - see its page in MSDN.

Link with /DEBUG - this is crucial. You get an EXE and a .PDB file with
the same basename.

Start Visual Studio - the de{*filter*} is built-in - from the command line
with:

        msdev myprog.exe

or start Visual Studio and use File->Open to get at the executable.
"Attach to Process" is not what you want at this point; that's for
processes that are already running, like NT services.

Use File->Open to open source files. Set breakpoints in them and run. Use
the single-step keys or toolbar icons. When you set into a different file,
the de{*filter*} will ask you where to find that file, if it can;t figure it
out for itself.

Quote:
> I am using Visual C++ 6.0 SE, on Win98.

Get Windows 2000 or even NT4. Much more solid for debugging big programs.

---

          "C++ - the fortran of the early 21st century."

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:06:00 GMT

1. redirecting a debug string to the debug IDE window in non-MFC app (ala TRACE)

2. redirecting a debug string to the debug IDE window in non-MFC app (ala TRACE)

3. hanging in loading symbols in debugging DLL loaded by external App

4. Multilanguage Debugging in VC IDE and VB IDE

5. Multilanguage Debugging in VC IDE and VB IDE

6. External compilation vs. IDE

7. Using the IDE as an external editor.

8. Programatically customizing Tools->External Tools in VS IDE

9. IDE 5.0: External Dependencies

10. Borland-C IDE & external libs

11. Linking external SDK within Borland IDE

12. Linking external .OBJ in Borland 3.1 IDE?