Debugging with Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows XP
Author Message
 Debugging with Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows XP

My development system was recently replaced with a
computer that has Windows XP installed on it.  We develop
software using Visual Studio 6.0 SP5. We have a program
that spawns another program.  The best way that I have
found to debug the second program is to insert a user
break point into the code using "_asm int 3".  In Windows
2000 this reported that the program had encountered an
user exception and allowed me to debug the program.  In
Windows XP it also brings up a dialog with a "Debug"
button.  When I push debug, a console window is breifly
displayed, but the program is not debugged.
Alternatively, from the task manager if you select the
first process, right click to get the menu and press
debug, you momentarily get a console window, and then the
process you selected to debug closes down.

Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:44:53 GMT
 Debugging with Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows XP

2002 12:44:53 in microsoft.public.vc.de{*filter*}, Max Derhak

Quote:
>My development system was recently replaced with a
>computer that has Windows XP installed on it.  We develop
>software using Visual Studio 6.0 SP5. We have a program
>that spawns another program.  The best way that I have
>found to debug the second program is to insert a user
>break point into the code using "_asm int 3".  In Windows
>2000 this reported that the program had encountered an
>user exception and allowed me to debug the program.  In
>Windows XP it also brings up a dialog with a "Debug"
>button.  When I push debug, a console window is breifly
>displayed, but the program is not debugged.
>Alternatively, from the task manager if you select the
>first process, right click to get the menu and press
>debug, you momentarily get a console window, and then the
>process you selected to debug closes down.

>Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

Look at the following registry value
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\De{*filter*}
It should be set to <path to>msdev.exe -p %ld -e %ld
--
Walter Briscoe

Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:57:15 GMT
 Debugging with Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows XP

Or start up msdev and go to tools |Options and select the "Make this the JIT
de{*filter*} option" - Its somewhere there - I haven't used VC6.0 in ages so the
exact location may be differnet but search for the JIT key

-raj

> 2002 12:44:53 in microsoft.public.vc.de{*filter*}, Max Derhak

> >My development system was recently replaced with a
> >computer that has Windows XP installed on it.  We develop
> >software using Visual Studio 6.0 SP5. We have a program
> >that spawns another program.  The best way that I have
> >found to debug the second program is to insert a user
> >break point into the code using "_asm int 3".  In Windows
> >2000 this reported that the program had encountered an
> >user exception and allowed me to debug the program.  In
> >Windows XP it also brings up a dialog with a "Debug"
> >button.  When I push debug, a console window is breifly
> >displayed, but the program is not debugged.
> >Alternatively, from the task manager if you select the
> >first process, right click to get the menu and press
> >debug, you momentarily get a console window, and then the
> >process you selected to debug closes down.

> >Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

> Look at the following registry value
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\De{*filter*}
> It should be set to <path to>msdev.exe -p %ld -e %ld
> --
> Walter Briscoe

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 06:33:00 GMT

1. MS Visual Studio 6.0 and Windows XP SP1

2. Debug-Windows in Visual Studio 6.0 (C++) doesn't show CString-Values

3. e: *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

4. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

5. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

6. Problem with Visual Studio 6.0 (Visual C++ 6.0) !!!!

7. Visual Studio Installation problem with Windows XP

8. Visual Studio Installation problem with Windows XP

9. Visual Studio Calendar Control resource causes Windows XP to crash

10. Visual Studio Installation problem with Windows XP

11. Visual C++ 6.0 Can't Load XP Debug Symbols

12. Visual Studio 6.0 hang while debugging