DebugBreak on XP
Author Message
 DebugBreak on XP

Hi,

    I just got an XP system (2526) up and running with VC++ Sp5. And during
my first port of a project, I noticed that DebugBreak doesn't seem to work.
I was having a problem in a dll and have a couple of DebugBreaks's around to
fire up VC++ if an error occurs -- I was running a Debug build and can see
an OutputDebugString just before the DebugBreak........ And VC++ is set for
JIT (the default) with no other de{*filter*}s running.... Works just fine on
Win2k though.

Any experiences appreciated.

TIA,

Mike P

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 03:24:51 GMT
 DebugBreak on XP
What does happen?

Does the program crash without giving you a chance to debug?
Does the program crash, give you a chance to debug but they fail to invoke the
de{*filter*}?
Does the program not crash at all?

Quote:

> Hi,

>     I just got an XP system (2526) up and running with VC++ Sp5. And during
> my first port of a project, I noticed that DebugBreak doesn't seem to work.
> I was having a problem in a dll and have a couple of DebugBreaks's around to
> fire up VC++ if an error occurs -- I was running a Debug build and can see
> an OutputDebugString just before the DebugBreak........ And VC++ is set for
> JIT (the default) with no other de{*filter*}s running.... Works just fine on
> Win2k though.

> Any experiences appreciated.

> TIA,

> Mike P

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:44:00 GMT
 DebugBreak on XP
Hi,

I tested this on my own XP machine, and found the following workaround.

1. Open the registry key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

Change the "Auto" to 1.

2. Change "De{*filter*}" to E:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual
Studio\\Common\\MSDev98\\Bin\\msdev.exe\ -p %ld

Note: remove the "-e %ld" parameter, otherwise the msdev won't start
properly.

When the debug break is hit, a new instance of MSDEV will start and attach
to the process. Click "Break Execution" button on the Debug toolbar, then
we can view the call stack and do debugging things.

However, I also found this workaround doesn't work perfectly, and it is
best to debug the program in Visual Studio.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,
Leo

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:49:28 GMT
 DebugBreak on XP

Quote:
> What does happen?

Just sails on by like the DebugBreak didn't exist -- a NOP as it were.

Mike P

Quote:
> Does the program crash without giving you a chance to debug?
> Does the program crash, give you a chance to debug but they fail to invoke
the
> de{*filter*}?
> Does the program not crash at all?

> > Hi,

> >     I just got an XP system (2526) up and running with VC++ Sp5. And
during
> > my first port of a project, I noticed that DebugBreak doesn't seem to
work.
> > I was having a problem in a dll and have a couple of DebugBreaks's
around to
> > fire up VC++ if an error occurs -- I was running a Debug build and can
see
> > an OutputDebugString just before the DebugBreak........ And VC++ is set
for
> > JIT (the default) with no other de{*filter*}s running.... Works just fine on
> > Win2k though.

> > Any experiences appreciated.

> > TIA,

> > Mike P

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:22:29 GMT
 DebugBreak on XP
Thanks Leo,

    And much as I'd like to debug in Visual Studio, I'm debugging this
global hook ......

Mike P

Quote:
> Hi,

> I tested this on my own XP machine, and found the following workaround.

> 1. Open the registry key below:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

> Change the "Auto" to 1.

> 2. Change "De{*filter*}" to E:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\\Common\\MSDev98\\Bin\\msdev.exe\ -p %ld

> Note: remove the "-e %ld" parameter, otherwise the msdev won't start
> properly.

> When the debug break is hit, a new instance of MSDEV will start and attach
> to the process. Click "Break Execution" button on the Debug toolbar, then
> we can view the call stack and do debugging things.

> However, I also found this workaround doesn't work perfectly, and it is
> best to debug the program in Visual Studio.

> Hope the above information helps.

> Regards,
> Leo

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:24:36 GMT

1. DebugBreak....

2. DebugBreak() in Win2000 service

3. Using DebugBreak with a service

4. Cannot start debugger with DebugBreak()

5. DebugBreak() problem

6. DebugBreak a loading DLL

7. DebugBreak has no effect ???

8. Using DebugBreak

9. How do you make DebugBreak() useful

10. Using DebugBreak()

11. DebugBreak - multi-process

12. DialogBar, XP Pro, XP Home, Visual Themes