How to debug 0177:bff9215d page fault
Author Message
 How to debug 0177:bff9215d page fault

That address is not in your code - which will make the task more
difficult. User code always runs below address 80000000, usually
much lower.

Probably you have called a system function with bad parameters,
or have called a completely bad address. The exact meaning of
that address depends on what OS you are running and what
versions of DLLS you have. Basically you need to drop into the
de{*filter*} when the crash happens, look at the call stack (if there
is one) or try to find out where the code was just before it
crashed at that address.

The four digit number in front of the colon can be ignored.

Have fun.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to debug 0177:bff9215d page fault
My windows exe has produced a fatal page fault error 0177:bff9215d. How do I
relate that memory address to my source code?

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to debug 0177:bff9215d page fault
My appologies. The 0177:bff9215d is only something I pulled out of the air.
I realise that my code would probably produce a different error. My question
is how to associate the error address with my source code eg when I get a
user bug report quoting the error address.

Quote:
> That address is not in your code - which will make the task more
> difficult. User code always runs below address 80000000, usually
> much lower.

> Probably you have called a system function with bad parameters,
> or have called a completely bad address. The exact meaning of
> that address depends on what OS you are running and what
> versions of DLLS you have. Basically you need to drop into the
> de{*filter*} when the crash happens, look at the call stack (if there
> is one) or try to find out where the code was just before it
> crashed at that address.

> The four digit number in front of the colon can be ignored.

> Have fun.

> > My windows exe has produced a fatal page fault error 0177:bff9215d. How
do I
> > relate that memory address to my source code?

> --
> .Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment.
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to debug 0177:bff9215d page fault
You can generate a map file and manually look through the addresses,
or right a tool to do this.

You can make sure debug information is turned on (you should
turn it on for release builds, always) and use the de{*filter*} thusly:

Load the executable into MSDev. Single step once to load the
executable and symbols. Open the registers window. Click to set
an insertion point on the EIP register and type in the
8 characters of instruction pointer. When you hit return the de{*filter*}
will try to display the code at that location, if it's in your code.

The best thing to do is to drop into the de{*filter*} when you crash.

Another good option is to have a structured exception handler
that records lots of information when your program crashes. This
can include the list of code modules, allowing you to do some
diagnosis when it crashes in system DLLs on other peoples'
machines. Here's my favorite sample code for this purpose (I
wrote it so I'm biased):

 ftp://ftp.mfi.com/pub/gamedev/src/jan99.zip

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ASP 0177 (0x80040111) - ClassFactory cannot supply requested class

2. Server.Createobject returns ASP 0177: 8007045a

3. Page Fault only occurs in Debug version.

4. Page fault when compile using Release mode but not Debug mode

5. Debugging page fault in release build

6. invalid page default in module MFC 042D.DLL at 0177:5f5011da.

7. Invalid page fault in Windows98

8. Q: How do I count page faults when running a programme

9. Invalid Page Fault?

10. Invalid page faults when accessing large arrays

11. PAGE FAULT

12. inline-virtual memory-page fault