Debugging Console Apps
Author Message
 Debugging Console Apps

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of turning some very old 'C' programs into
Console Apps.  It's going quite well except that I can't seem to debug any
Console Apps that are called from other Console Apps by SPAWNLP.  How can I
do this?  Should I be using Spawnlp?

Regards
Martin

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 04:01:00 GMT
 Debugging Console Apps
you'll have to attach to process(under the build/Start Debug) since your
creating  a whole other process not just spawning a thread or something.

marc

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm currently in the process of turning some very old 'C' programs into
> Console Apps.  It's going quite well except that I can't seem to debug any
> Console Apps that are called from other Console Apps by SPAWNLP.  How can
> do this?  Should I be using Spawnlp?

> Regards
> Martin

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 04:11:38 GMT
 Debugging Console Apps

Quote:

>you'll have to attach to process(under the build/Start Debug) since your
>creating  a whole other process not just spawning a thread or something.

>marc

>> Hi,

>> I'm currently in the process of turning some very old 'C' programs into
>> Console Apps.  It's going quite well except that I can't seem to debug any
>> Console Apps that are called from other Console Apps by SPAWNLP.  How can
>> do this?  Should I be using Spawnlp?

You can insert a call to DebugBreak() into your child program. That
should bring up a dialog box offering you the chance to debug.

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:59:57 GMT
 Debugging Console Apps

Quote:
> You can insert a call to DebugBreak() into your child program. That
> should bring up a dialog box offering you the chance to debug.

I've done this, and lo and behold my Delphi 5 de{*filter*} starts.  Anyone know
how to turn it off so that the C++ de{*filter*} can be used?

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:30:57 GMT
 Debugging Console Apps

Quote:

>I've done this, and lo and behold my Delphi 5 de{*filter*} starts.  Anyone know
>how to turn it off so that the C++ de{*filter*} can be used?

This registry script should do it. NOTE: The De{*filter*} line is just one
line.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug]
"Auto"="0"
"De{*filter*}"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual
Studio\\Common\\MSDev98\\Bin\\msdev.exe\" -p %ld -e %ld"
"UserDe{*filter*}HotKey"=dword:00000000

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:19:00 GMT
 Debugging Console Apps

Jul 2001 09:30:57 in microsoft.public.vc.de{*filter*}, Martin Kelly

Quote:

>> You can insert a call to DebugBreak() into your child program. That
>> should bring up a dialog box offering you the chance to debug.

>I've done this, and lo and behold my Delphi 5 de{*filter*} starts.  Anyone know
>how to turn it off so that the C++ de{*filter*} can be used?

microSoft JIT debugging uses a single datum to specify a de{*filter*} on a
given system. In your case, Delphi pre-empted that datum. The details
are in the knowledge base. I don't have an immediate reference. The
aedebug section in win.ini does it for W9X and a registry entry does it
for NTX. The registry entry MAY also work in W9X. It is worth hunting
for the bugslayer article which describes dbgchooser. That is a neat
utility which allows you to choose among several de{*filter*}s when a JIT
de{*filter*} is needed. I hope I have pointed you in profitable directions.
I have left you to do the work.
--
Walter Briscoe

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:11 GMT

1. Debugging Console App?

2. Debug console app in VisStudio

3. Debugging console app...

4. debugging console app

5. Debug Win32 Console app

6. VC++ 4.0 Standard and console apps debugging

7. Debugging Win32 console apps

8. Invoking a console app and hiding the console.

9. Connecting a console app and a WIN32 app using pipes

10. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

11. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

12. dif between console app and normal win app