debugging exe's inside a frame
Author Message
 debugging exe's inside a frame

Hi,

What is the procedure for debugging an exe that gets launched inside a frame
(container). The frame is also an exe.

I am not able to launch the exe without the frame.

Thanks,
Prasanna R

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:53:07 GMT
 debugging exe's inside a frame

Quote:
>What is the procedure for debugging an exe that gets launched inside a frame
>(container). The frame is also an exe.

You could add a DebugBreak statement in the intialisation code of your
spawned program. That will let you attach the de{*filter*} to it.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:09:01 GMT
 debugging exe's inside a frame

Thanks for your reply, but the exe that is launched inside the frame acts
like a seperate exe and keeping a break point in the frame exe does not lead
me to the exe in the container.
Prasanna R

Quote:
> >What is the procedure for debugging an exe that gets launched inside a
frame
> >(container). The frame is also an exe.

> You could add a DebugBreak statement in the intialisation code of your
> spawned program. That will let you attach the de{*filter*} to it.

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:17:14 GMT
 debugging exe's inside a frame

Quote:
>Thanks for your reply, but the exe that is launched inside the frame acts
>like a seperate exe and keeping a break point in the frame exe does not lead
>me to the exe in the container.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not talking about a
breakpoint. Modify the source code of the spawned application (the one
you need to debug) and put a DebugBreak() statement in its
initialisation.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:48:45 GMT
 debugging exe's inside a frame
Thanks Dave, But even that does not work.
Can you give me any other way of doing this?

Prasanna R

Quote:
> >Thanks for your reply, but the exe that is launched inside the frame acts
> >like a seperate exe and keeping a break point in the frame exe does not
lead
> >me to the exe in the container.

> I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not talking about a
> breakpoint. Modify the source code of the spawned application (the one
> you need to debug) and put a DebugBreak() statement in its
> initialisation.

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:47:06 GMT
 debugging exe's inside a frame

Quote:
>Thanks Dave, But even that does not work.

What aspect of it doesn't work?

You might want to try DebugBreak on a simple test project first to see
what it does without any complications introduced by your situation.
It should allow you to invoke the de{*filter*} on the application when it
hits the DebugBreak statement.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:18:27 GMT
 debugging exe's inside a frame
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your support. Ultimately we figured out how to attach the process
to the frame and we succeded debugging the code.

Thanks again,
Prasanna R

Quote:
> >Thanks Dave, But even that does not work.

> What aspect of it doesn't work?

> You might want to try DebugBreak on a simple test project first to see
> what it does without any complications introduced by your situation.
> It should allow you to invoke the de{*filter*} on the application when it
> hits the DebugBreak statement.

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:54:22 GMT

1. Finding DLL's inside EXE's

2. Can't find debug symbols in a debug exe

3. Debug infos inside the EXE ??

4. debugging 'third party' *.exe

5. Including an exe inside another exe

6. breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)

7. breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)

8. debug exe OK but release exe crashes

9. CRecordset AND Debug exe success AND Release exe failure

10. Debug a exe launched by another exe

11. Debug VC6 exe launched from VB6 exe

12. Iconifying modeless dialog inside Main Frame ?